Randy Grubb and the Decoliner

Hi guys,

Some of you may recall Randy Grubb from Portland; he appears on this forum from time to a black CAV GT40 replica.

Randy's a quiet guy, and you'd never know how talented he is unless you asked him. He is an automotive artist who labors under the trade name BLASTOLENE. Lots of people make that claim about themselves, but in his case it's completely true. He's probably best-known as the fellow who built the Tank Car which was subsequently purchased by Jay Leno. A few years ago he displayed Pissed Off Pete, a super-radical dual-supercharged custom Peterbilt truck/hot rod, in Monterey.
This latest creation is the BLASTEOLENE version of Flash Gordon's Motorhome. Randy started with a GMC motorhome and you can see what he has created.

He plans on leasing this to Companies for Commercials, Movies, and promotions. Let your minds wander with potential attention-gathering events that could center around this thing. He plans on towing his idea of a commuter car behind the Decoliner, a Pulse-Jet powered Belly-Tank Lakester to get milk and hot dogs to picnic with.

This guy has more talent in his little finger that most of us can muster in a lifetime. Not bad for a former glass blower turned Mobile Sculpture vehicle builder!

Decoliner in Portland .2011 - YouTube

Mike

We got a close-up look at some of Randys creations on a TV show called 'Monster Garage', IIRC he was in the episode where they built a Trike with a big diesel out of a KW or Peterbilt ( was going to be a bike if jesse James had got his way, but the thought of getting pinned under that lump of iron convinced him otherwise... Sandras probably inflicted more pain since:) ). Yeah, I know its basicly a kids show, but all the time I was looking at the stuff in the background, other projects and tools etc.

However in the show there was a general roundup of Randys stuff, all seemed to be powered by big V12's etc out of trucks or tanks & they all worked/were able to be driven, good stuff, I like that think outside the square mentality.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
As a fabricator and brother in grease - I have a true sense of kinship with him and his creations - I just wish I had his vision...

Randy - Again, some amazing work... Hat's off to you! :thumbsup:

Ha. Randy and I had a long conversation (gt40s) at Fernley in June. There's way more there than just "an artist."

Seen here blowing by the Miata (again).

DSC_0552-vi.jpg

Back