A quick prayer would be appreciated

My wife and I are making piles of those things we would take with us if the evacuation order comes-- things the kids made for you when they were little--like that. The fires are still 5-10 miles away, but if the wind shifts, you don't have much time to spend wandering around, wondering what can't be replaced. No way I could round up all my Lotus parts and move them and the car, --stuff, so we do what we can.

Fire departments from as far away as California are here, and the realization that these young men, in a sense, ordinary people, are willing to go to the lengths they are to save the lives and property of strangers, is humbling, and an antidote for the cynicism of the day.
Please say a prayer for their safety as they strive to protect ours.

John in Magnolia
Magnolia Fires Continue - KIAH

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
John,

We are all praying for you folks.

I'm with you there about the fire fighters, brave folks doing a very very tough, dirty job!

All the very best John, and your neighbours. I live with bush around, and run a local Fire Group in my street, and know that feeling of getting ready for evacuation very well.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
All the best John, I've been where you are a few times and know it's not fun.
Remember mate, no possession or pet is worth risking yourself or your family for.
Stay positive and best wishes.

Gentlemen-
Thank you all very much for your words of encouragement and your prayers. They are appreciated more than you can know.
This morning, as a result of over 400 firefighters from around the country, and especially the guys from California who came in to manage things and are really making a difference (they'll be no more San Francisco jokes from this Texan), the situation is improving and it looks like we're okay for now if the wind stays down.

Again, thank you all.
John

We haven't heard from you,John, are things still OK? I wish we here in New England could send you some of the water we've been inundated with. It's been a rough year for folks in many parts of the country.

Guys-
The Tri County Fire is contained, and I got to drive down one of the roads out of here (two of the three had been closed as too dangerous for traffic since the fire began). Black on either side of the road as far as you could see for about ten miles out of Magnolia, and much of it lined with twisted plastic 3-rail horse fencing.
A discouraging sight, and shocking, but one thing in particular struck me-- a trailer house about 100 feet from the road, surrounded by burned grass and black tree trunks, it sat there in the middle of a 20-foot ring of brown! God bless 'em, those fire fighters had stood there and said:"Not this one.", and, incredibly, saved someones home and the memories inside. And this was not some million dollar ranch house. It was just an ordinary little trailer home. Words fail.
Again, thank you for your posts of support, and all of you who just read and said a prayer.
John

Back