Crash at Reno

Attachments

• Leeward 51.jpg
    Leeward 51.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Our local news reported that the pilot was 80 years old, but other news sites reported his age at 74. At some point we need to accept the fact that we are too old to compete and step back to an "enthusiast" level rather than being a competitor. It is a tough decision that goes against our desire to remain young, but it needs to be done for the safety of all involved rather than our continued "pleasure" and our egos.

I was at the races two years ago, as I sat in the stands the thought did occur that if just the right thing went wrong, these stands could be wiped out. It truly felt like the wild west out there, we discussed amongst ourselves how few places one could see unlimited planes in their full glory.

A sad day for all. Even sadder if the event gets permanently canceled.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Rob,

Yes, when I was in College, we went to the races manyl times, I remember it as the best air show you could ever see. Then between the acts, they heid races, incredible!

I was there back in the early 80's when they had the Red Barron P51 crash (a Griffen powerd counter rotating prop racer). Steve Hinton was flying, the motor blew just as he crossed the finish line, the plane crashed in the canyon off the east end of the runway, big ball of flames.

We were in shock, extremely upset, seeing someone die like that. We left immediately and were half way back to Sacramento when we heard he had survived!!

An incredibly lucky set of circumstances allowed Mr Hinton to escape serious injury. I for one could not believe anyone could survive that, but he did.

I have only been back one time since, I lost a lot of enthusiasm for the sport after that.

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I went back and looked, it was 1979

1979 Reno Air Races -- Part 2 - YouTube

Even today, I still can't believe he could survive that crash, just look at the wreckage!

Unbelievable! When they got to the wreckage, he was talking to them!

I'm so sorry that today they were not so lucky, so sad.

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Some things I have noticed:

The tail wheel was down, with all the aero work they do, why was the tail wheel down?

In a still shot of the vertical dive, the cockpit appears empty, at least the pilots head is not show.

Absolutly no fire, not even a quick flash. The fuel cell tech must be incredible. We are talking race fuel here.

Jim,

I read a report from an eyewitness who stated a trim tab separated from the airplane. He did not say which one. I would think the pilot would do everything they can to avoid the crowd in a bad situation and from what I've read so far it appears this one did. I dont know how much juice is carried, probably just enough to taxi out, take off, complete a heat and land.

V/P provides the juice;

airplane racing fuel, airplane race gas

A sad day for sure.

I hope I can get there with my Dad next fall.

Cheers,
Scott

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
The trim tab was on the lefthand elevator.

They seem to be saying this caused the pilot to pass out due to the G load.

Two of the attached pics show the pilot slumped forward just before the crash.

A very sad day indeed.

Attachments

• Nl30089.jpg
    Nl30089.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 349
  • He97054.jpg
    He97054.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 434
  • Ki20449.jpg
    Ki20449.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 427

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Some are also asking why is the tail wheel down.

The main gear is up and so should the tail wheel be.

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Tail wheel is first out but by then the main gear inner doors are open.

They are still closed in the picture. Very strange.

I guess the exact cause of the accident will be discovered in weeks to come.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Excellent video. Question: couldn't the trim tab's failure be overcome with the stick, and in this case perhaps the asymetric roll with the ailerons?

Excellent video. Question: couldn't the trim tab's failure be overcome with the stick, and in this case perhaps the asymetric roll with the ailerons?
If he was conscious and the stick forces were were not too high. He was a 74 year old. The other guy it happened to in 1998 did'nt regain consciousness until the plane had climb to 9000 feet. I can image the quick 10+ G load doubled him over unconscious and he had nothing to do from then on...he was along for the ride. Truly speculation on my part.

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter
Spoke with Cleo Shelby at Camilo Pardo's exhibition in Beverly Hills on Sat night. Both Cleo and Carroll were in the stands at Reno. Shaken up but unhurt.

Back