To the Australian members

Hi All !

A friend of mine comes retired in spring 2012 and he plans a travel with his women in Australia for a year. They want to enter the land in Sydney or Melborne. They want to buy a car, something like a Subaru Forrester or outback and then, they want to pull a caravan/mobile home.
Well, sounds totally easy........ but i think there are several laws to check.

How is the pull weigth ratio in AUS ? Could i pull a caravan with 3040 KGs
with a Subaru Forrester or Outback ? Legal ?
Have you any idea where i can buy a car/caravan combo? Insurance and what i need further ?
Where i can read the streetlaws and rules for downunder ?

Ladies & Gentlemen

For some answers and replies i thank you.

Cheers

Mike S

Hi Mike
From my experience, most ball and tongue type tow bars are only rated at around 1600 kg. I have an XR6 Falcon ute with H/D hayman reese set up and I can only get 2100 kg. For 3000 odd you may need to look at large 4x4 or F series ??

Clayton

Hi Mike,
I also would like to suggest going for a 4x4 such as a toyota landcruiser. Make sure its a diesel to. There are vast distances to cover and a good reliable car is very important, To give you an idea of the size Western Australia, the East Pilbara shire (I think you guys would call it a county) is over half the size of Texas.
Happy travels.
Kind regards, Gus.

How is the pull weigth ratio in AUS ? Could i pull a caravan with 3040 KGs with a Subaru Forrester or Outback ? Legal ?

Ignoring the question about legality, their rated is less than 3,000 lbs (not kgs). They won't be able to tow something that large safely.

If you have a caravan that large, you're going to need a larger vehicle to tow it.

Mike, do they really want to do their own thing? There's a lot of local knowledge you need to know for serious outback or country travelling here, no offence. It may be good value to join in with a 4WD package tour, or even a tag-along tour where you drive your öwn"4WD with a bunch of others, with group meal preparation, etc.
Or if they want to drive around in a car, they can find a lot of scenery as well as accomodation along the bitumen roads, eliminating the need to drag their caravan behind them. Just some thoughts for consideration.

Hi all

Thanks to you for the answers.

After several hours in internetresearch, we are not able to find a serious
carseller.

In ebay there are very much ,very good priced 4 wd vehicles with under 100000 kms, but i think thats not serious.

Is anybody here in the forum which could told me some seller ?

Or is here someone that will sell his japanese Diesel 4 WD?

Thanks a lot in advance

Greetings from Switzerland........ very cold

Mike S

I have holidayed a couple of times in Tasmania, Comming from NZ where there are plenty of caravans and I towed one for many years. I would not even concider getting a van in Aus unless there was an extrordinary reason. I have found plenty of B&Bs or cabins to stay in. Plus traveling without a van makes it easier to go and visit all the out of the way places you see while you are driving. One way a friend of mine travels is with a holiday home and towing a small compact car on an "A" frame. Not sure whether you can do that in Aus though.

Back