Steve Jobs, Seriously?

Thought I'd kick this off. But seriously "genius"...good, for sure, IPhone whatever... just because something is popular or has a cult following does not make it the "be all to end all" product. Hell, Obama is probably an Apple fan.

I'm not an apple fan myself, but his contributions are undeniable. We often forget about things like the Mouse... Jobs saw how useful that could be and perfected that even though it was a Xerox invention...

Personally, I think his greatest contribution was the iPhone. The iPhone was what kicked off the entire smart phone movement.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Doug69

You could not be more wrong!

Mr Jobs falls into a select group that almost alone defined and industry and changed the world.

A G Bell
Thomas Edison
Henry Ford
Walt Diseny
Steve Jobs

Doug, please explain why you would bring President Obama into this discussion?

Last edited:
Someone at work here read a post on another forum where someone put it succinctly:

(paraphrased)

There have been 3 important apples in man's history:

Adam and Eve's apple.
Newton's apple.
Steve Job's apple.

I have never purchased an Apple product (well, I did buy an iPod nano for my wife a few years back because I won one, so it was only fair - the funny thing is at that same conference I won a full Microsoft Office ), but it was never because I despised Apple or thought the products no good. It is simple to think of Apple products as ho-hum, just another electronic gadget, but two things come to mind when I hear that:

1. you don't realize that in many cases, the other products that make up the "ho-hum sea" of choices available were inspired by Apple
  2. Steve Jobs had an incredible, innate talent for design and attention to detail. He was, plain and simple, an artist.
Many people use the word genius because he saw things differently and, apparently, was surprisingly correct in terms of what the market wants and needs. He believed that people do not know what they want until shown, as opposed to giving people what they say they want (the standard marketing practice.) It takes a genius (not to mention someone with enough guts in business) to pull that off as successfully as he did.

IMHO, of course.:thumbsup:

We all knew it was coming, but I was truly sad to read the news.

RIP Steve.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
All I know is that I had to switch from PC to Mac some years back when I changed jobs. Now, I'd never go back - ever. RIP Steve Jobs.

I'm not an apple fan myself, but his contributions are undeniable. We often forget about things like the Mouse... Jobs saw how useful that could be and perfected that even though it was a Xerox invention...

Personally, I think his greatest contribution was the iPhone. The iPhone was what kicked off the entire smart phone movement.

Hang on a minute. Jobs did not invent the mouse and neither did Xerox. And he DID NOT invent the smart phone, "Smartphones" were on the street 15 YEARS before the iPhone was introduced, and of course not as we know them today. He simply did what others were doing at the time, jumped market share with timely introduction (on a particular model), and capitalized on consumers enamored gaga over the latest "must haves" - personally I just don't operate like that, but if you do well then fine for you. He was genius to you because you bought his product. Better get the Apple cranked up and research the mouse, Wiki works for me.:shocked:

Last edited:
Doug69

You could not be more wrong!

Mr Jobs falls into a select group that almost alone defined and industry and changed the world.

A G Bell
Thomas Edison
Henry Ford
Walt Diseny
Steve Jobs

Doug, please explain why you would bring President Obama into this discussion?

Yeah, I could be more wrong - but I'm not....

Select group of people.... <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
P><P><FONT size=3><FONT face=Calibri>Disney; Role model, child's and some adults hero, <SPAN style=
but I don't think he changed the world through his valued entertainment. Don't get me wrong on this one, just got back from a week in Orlando and I cannot count the times I've been through the original Disney in L.A. and Tokyo too. Ronald Reagan would have been a better pick in this slot - HE literally changed the world. Again, just my op.</SPAN>

Jobs; by now you probably get the idea I'm not a fan - everyone's got their thing. I just don't get on the bandwagon any time someone passes (except a G.I., God bless them). So you've now formed the opinion I'm a cold hearted prick - maybe so but it's tough to get to know someone online, so don't take anything I say personally :) <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Obama - I threw that in there to vent a tad for myself; whole other thread I'm sure and I probably just needed to find it and contribute there, so "my bad".<o:p></o:p>
:lipsrsealed:

Last edited:
Doug,

If it were not for Steve Jobs, we would not be having this discussion on GT40s.com. Plain and simple - he and Woz were responsible for ushering in personal computing, GUI based OSes, and everything that resulted. He did not invent smart phones, but reinvented them and made them what they are today. He did not invent tablets, but reinvented them as well. He did not invent music as electronic media, but reinvented how it is legally distributed. It goes on and on.

Ian

Doug,

If it were not for Steve Jobs, we would not be having this discussion on GT40s.com. Plain and simple - he and Woz were responsible for ushering in personal computing, GUI based OSes, and everything that resulted. He did not invent smart phones, but reinvented them and made them what they are today. He did not invent tablets, but reinvented them as well. He did not invent music as electronic media, but reinvented how it is legally distributed. It goes on and on.

Ian

Ian,

Noted - well said, and I appreciate the balance.

I do, however, disagree with the connection with Steve W. There are plenty of other platforms (OS, GUI, etc.). But, most people as consumers only see the industry as it is in Best Buy or in the Sunday paper and nothing else and that is sadly just the tip of the iceburg.

Then, why do we seemingly take for granted only those who are living, but jump to our feet with arms flailing when someone dies? It seems to me you should say "good job" to someone that can hear it rather than saying "RIP" to someone who can't - are you saying that for your own gratitude? (not you, figurtively I mean)

Thank you - and I do really appreciate the balanced observation.

P.S. Oceanside/North County transplant - maybe that's the problem!!

Doug

You've got a point Doug - but, actually people did praise him while he was alive. Some of us were not Apple users but still, for whatever personal reason, recognize what his talents and hard work did for the industry and his passing marks a line in the sand for everyone to stop and reflect. And yes, we also praise the hereos that put their lives on the line for us. Please don't start down that self righteous road thinking you're the only one who cares.

Most of us know that the mouse was patented in the 60's and that DARPA initiated what became the basis for the internet in the 60's, yadda yadda yadda... please, spare us - you're not the gate keeper to all that knowledge. However, the mouse, for instance, went nowhere for quite some time until people SUCH AS Steve Jobs brought it to market for the common man.

Now, will I praise Bill Gates as much when he passes? Probably not. I don't think he is as innovative. He made some absolutely fantastic business moves early on that positioned him well in the market, but he doesn't impress me the way Steve Jobs did. Maybe if I were a businessman or in marketing that would be different, but I'm an engineer...

People get too wrapped up talking about Steve Jobs' products, and are missing the bigger picture.

Before Apple, personal computing simply did not exist. There were some minor players (remember the Commodore 64?), but largely, computers were strictly in the business/banking/government realm.

Apple changed the mindset about computing for the entire world, and that's what elevates Jobs to being in the same realm as Edison, Ford etc. You may never have purchased or used an Apple computer, but the fact that you are using ANY computer in your home or office can be attributed solely to Apple. They didn't just invent a product, they invented an industry.

Yes, there were competing products, but they were designed to compete with Apple's vision.

I'm a Luddite myself; my phone is dumb, not smart, and I have an I-pod that I got for Christmas two years ago and have never once used. My computer is ten years old and still going strong.

That last statement should make it self-evident that the computer is a Mac! :thumbsup:

Ian,

Noted - well said, and I appreciate the balance.

I do, however, disagree with the connection with Steve W. There are plenty of other platforms (OS, GUI, etc.). But, most people as consumers only see the industry as it is in Best Buy or in the Sunday paper and nothing else and that is sadly just the tip of the iceburg.

Then, why do we seemingly take for granted only those who are living, but jump to our feet with arms flailing when someone dies? It seems to me you should say "good job" to someone that can hear it rather than saying "RIP" to someone who can't - are you saying that for your own gratitude? (not you, figurtively I mean)

Thank you - and I do really appreciate the balanced observation.

P.S. Oceanside/North County transplant - maybe that's the problem!!

Doug

Hey Doug - meant to reply, but have been busy lately.

Anyway, I get what you are saying, but as others have said - Jobs has been recognized for some time as a genius. Obviously, because of his death, we get to hear all about it at once as opposed to random snippets from time to time.

Left the San Diego area for Sacramento back in 2000. Made up for that transgression in 2006 ;)

Ian

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Ian,

Boy, moving from San Diego to Sacramento must have been quite a shock! I know when I left Menlo Park to go to college at Sacramento State, it was a very big change.

Although, after a time I learned to really like Sacto, I too have moved back to the Bay Area.

That said, I have always loved San Diego, a very nice/beautiful area.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Are you using Windows now? I'm an IBM PC guy and still remember the days of DOS. Windows runs the world....and it is a rip of Apple's operating interface.

Bill Gates: good programmer, extremely good (and ruthless) businenessman

Steve Jobs: innovator, inventor, designer

Hey Jim,

Ian,

Boy, moving from San Diego to Sacramento must have been quite a shock! I know when I left Menlo Park to go to college at Sacramento State, it was a very big change.

Although, after a time I learned to really like Sacto, I too have moved back to the Bay Area.

That said, I have always loved San Diego, a very nice/beautiful area.

It wasn't too bad of a shock, and there were plenty of pluses at the time - cheap housing (we bought our first house just off of Watt and 50 for $160K and sold it for $325K), I had an awesome job in the Bay Area (worked at LBL's supercomputer center NERSC - though the daily commute from Sacto to Oakland/Berkeley via Amtrak/Capitol Corridor wore thin), and our first son was welcomed at UC Davis med. But, issues at work coupled with the commute caused me to start looking for jobs in Davis/Sacto which didn't pan out. Add to that the lack of family nearby, moving back to San Diego, as difficult as it turned out to be in the current economic climate, has proven to be the right decision. I do miss the get togethers at Howard's, and access to Sonoma, Laguna Seca and Thunderhill ...

Of course, it keeps pushing the GT40 dream back some ...

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter
Speaking only for myself, my first introduction to an apple product was in 86 it was the first personal computer that allowed non techies to operate design applications without knowing DOS. For the past 20+ years I have made my living, worked in design studies around the globe because of being an early adopter of the Apple Macintosh. Jobs was the catalyst behind the initial product and the later advances. Without it there would have been no Adobe products either.

Back