R.I.P poddock

The once thriving place that a fella could visit have a cold one, take off his political gloves and get his blood flowing, is now dead.
It seems that admitting you enjoyed the often heated political discussions is almost equaled to using the "N" word... and thats really too bad..
All because a few didn't have the will power to pass by without stopping to stare....:thumbsdown: R.I.P paddock you will be missed.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I'm thinking that using "political gloves" (as applied to the recent Paddock activities) implies making a point without too much unneeded damage, and allowing a responsible exchange of ideas through deliberate and tactful debate. I'm also thinking that taking these gloves off, and saying whatever comes to mind, bare knuckled and all, is what turned that gentlemen's sport into a brawl. I enjoy a good bout, but it turned into the reality TV show junk that, personally, I feel any forum should avoid (unless solely dedicated to that kind of pursuit). Surely the net has other bare-knuckle forums to visit for that kind of action?

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I enjoy a good bout, but it turned into the reality TV show junk that, personally, I feel any forum should avoid (unless solely dedicated to that kind of pursuit). Surely the net has other bare-knuckle forums to visit for that kind of action?

Agreed, Terry! I found the "trolling" and "baiting" just intolerable, quit posting on most of the political threads in hopes the trolls would either disappear or decide to do more than incite dischord. No such luck, so unless there's some unfathomable issue that necessitates my input, I'm done with the trolls, all of whom I have put on the "ignore" function.

The Paddock will be just fine, though.....no need for R.I.P.'s. There's plenty of other material on the Paddock to enjoy, and even though I enjoyed the political discussions, I must admit I did grow tired of the manner in which the trolls seemed to do nothing other than cause "noise".

Cheers!

Doug

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Agreed Terry, those who bother reading my posts know that I do not shy away from political debate, but the name calling, insults and fanaticism of recent times
has turned me away.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
You are all pussyfooting. Say it as it was and is, it was one particular individual who incited a majority of the venom and hatred in the paddock and just about everyone failed to put him on their ignore list. The man is a total wanker and waste of time. Go and try and figure it out.....?

Last edited:
You are all pussyfooting. Say it as it was and is, it was one particular individual who incited a majority of the venom and hatred in the paddock and just about everyone failed to put him on their ignore list. The man is a total wanker and waste of time. Go and try and figure it out.....?

"it was one particular individual who incited a majority of the venom and hatred in the paddock." Now that's really " Say(ing) it as it was and is."

I truthfully think the paddock (if needed) had the capability of correcting itself if left alone. members could either use Doug's technique of activating the ignore option, or by not reading or responding to a thread they didn't like...but instead all this negative demonizing and applying warning signs to the paddock has obviously left this place a ghost town...I see many of these heated political discussion participants are now denouncing the activities as if they were purely spectators..
It reminds me of when the thin skinned nanny folks tried to put a stop to the UFC..they said "Oh it's too violent" well turn the fricking channel.
I for one respect everyone here, and if we would ever have a group gathering I would probibly bring beer not my political battle axe..
R.I.P paddock?? we shall see.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
I think car forums are generally better off without these places. Despite the best intentions of most posters, usually someone like Lonesome comes along and generates enough controversy that everyone does and says things they normally wouldn't.

I for one have admitted my goods and bads. I don't care if other have or have not. Craig is right and in actuality, the Paddock had already started to correct itself by those responsible (and I count myself as one). The continued demonization of what is already a diffused state, is bordering on the old poking a stick syndrome.

I may be on peoples' ignore lists, I don't know. I do care though. Even an arshole could have something interesting to say once in a while. ;) Good forbid those better than I could miss it. Is that what we should accept as open-minded? Ignore those we don't like or agree with.

I truly hate John Prescott. But I can't allow myself just to switch him off, even though it hurts to hear his voice inside my head.

The more I read here the more I see that both 'sides' are equally as full of it!

RIP the Paddock? RIP the ability to think! What a truly sad development. To my mind, the clearest indication that nothing in society will ever change. Suck it up people.

If you really want to point out the obvious almost everyone that has posted in any of the so called heated threads (which I am very guilty) and voted to omit it from the new post threads is a hypocrite. Funny how they still post here and contribute in one way or another. To make this place a nanny state so to speak is really really sad. How about acting like ADULTS and not clicking if you don't want to read. I bet that those that voted against are the ones (and by looking at the results it is quite clear) that CONSISTENTLY had their A$$ handed to them in one way or another (it takes TWO to tango fellas) and because they couldn't take the proverbial heat and they went crying to daddy to protect them. That's what really happened if you want to speak honestly. I do post in other threads but lets face it the content in general on here is just about DEAD (although I still learn something new everyday I search through OLD THREADS) and i have said this before the paddock is the ONLY place with NEW CURRENT EVENTS or issues discussed. Hate the fact, disagree with it but it still remains a fact non the less (how many NEW or UPDATED build logs are there on here as most NEW threads are from a sell bot). Just to point out the obvious just in todays post almost every topic so far today has been discussed in one form or another but people seem to have an issue using the search button. I say lets start a poll about that. Our daily bot which in all other forums is considered spam and a troll is OK right guys (just trying to figure out where the line is drawn)? To the admins credit they did post on how to correct the nannification put in place so I must give them credit for that as they really didn't need to so cudos to you. Now I'm going to step off my soap box and go search some old threads.

Last edited:
I think car forums are generally better off without these places. Despite the best intentions of most posters, usually someone like Lonesome comes along and generates enough controversy that everyone does and says things they normally wouldn't.
Jeff, I must disagree with you. some of the things that you deem offensive or inappropriate, I found refreshing..
Some debates will most assuredly sound harsh when true emotions are injected. I personally prefer listening and engaging in a debate when all the ammo is used, vs the same old softball crap..

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
We can agree to disagree, politely. I don't come to car forums (this or others) to discuss politics. I come to learn about cars.

Before, when the Paddock stuff was on the new posts list, I'd come here to see what Malcolm and Glenn and Ron and Fran and others were up to, and I'd see things like "All Muslims or Terrorists." Or "Liberals are destroying their children." And so forth. In almost every case, the point was debatable or the fact that there was another 'side' to the argument was completely lost on the poster.

I don't see any of that as "learning" or "refreshing" and, no offensive, but this board seemed to have even LESS actual information on "Paddock" type topics than others, and more just nonsense, a lot of it very offensive to one side or the other.

I don't really see how any of that is constructive, or advances the ball, and I think a lot of it is endemic with what is wrong with the country.

Very true Damian. There has been a concerted effort of one side of this debate to shut off the other. A perfect example is this message from Craik to Graham;

Jim Craik
Grahm,

"I understand very well your feelings, I have often felt the same, as you may remember I have washed my hands to these discussions several times.

Trying to discuss anything with most concervaties is like talking to the wall!

But I have found after a week or so I read the forms and they piss me off to the piont where I just have to speak up.

Then we go through the same cycle again.

I know its a waist of time to reason with most of these folks, but I keep thinging that it may influence/convince some quiet folks that not everyone here is a concervative nut job.

Keep up the good fight!!!!" http://www.gt40s.com/forum/members/gravy.html#vmessage1080

This was written over a year ago, long before I started speaking out. Unfortunately, Conservatives, in the past, tended to back off when confronted. I did a little experiment, and the Libs didn't like the idea that someone stood up to them.

And let it be known, trying to discuss anything with a liberal IS like talking to a meat grinder.

Soon enough, we'll see who the majority wants to be led by. "Reasoning" with this crowd is not worth the digital ink and paper its typed on.

I personally thought it was a lot of fun and very interesting. I think I've had more than my share of names thrown at me. So what? If calling you "Liberals" is so offensive, I am truely sorry. It looks like we have too many precious guys here who, Like Damian said, ran to Daddy to make it stop.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Jesus H. Christ.

Where did I make any sweeping statements about "liberals" or "conservatives?" In fact, no one in this mea culpa thread has done anything like that.

Leave it to Lonesome to show up and start with the "arguing with liberals is like talking to a meat grinder" and so on and so on and so on.

You are one of a kind dude. Truly.

Jesus H. Christ.

Where did I make any sweeping statements about "liberals" or "conservatives?" In fact, no one in this mea culpa thread has done anything like that.

Leave it to Lonesome to show up and start with the "arguing with liberals is like talking to a meat grinder" and so on and so on and so on.

You are one of a kind dude. Truly.

Thanks :~) but I don't believe this is a "mea culpa" thread, its about how the gonads have been taken out of the paddock.

You've called me plenty of pretty nasty things, and I could care less. In return, I don't think I've called you anything worse than Jeff, unless you are offended at me calling you a liberal.

Back