Volvo Ocean Race

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
The Volvo around the world sail boat race, run every two years starts on Saturday. Any sailing fan or racing fan will love this!!!!

These boats go faster than any mono-hull should. Check the vidio.

default.jpg
1:27<BUTTON class="addto-button short video-actions yt-uix-button yt-uix-button-short" role=button data-feature="thumbnail" data-video-ids="Kr-HQZ-B3hQ" data-button-menu-id="shared-addto-menu" data-button-menu-action="yt.www.lists.addto.toggleMenu">
pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif
Add to
pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif
</BUTTON>A Beacon In The Storm - Thrane & Thrane an Offi...by volvooceanracevideos

If the vidio wont play, just google volvo ocean race and then videos!

The race goes on for seveal months and has good tv coverage 30 to 40 hours over the course of the race.

Guys, this is truly good stuff, even if you do not sail, you will love this!!!

pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif

Tags:

Last edited:
Fantastic to watch these boats.
My son did the ARC race across the atlantic a couple of years ago, some of the pictures and videos he took of the waves around him made ME S##T me pants.

These guys have got Balls of steel I think

Think the Cathegory is done mostly with Open70 class ship. Abu Dahbi hull was here done in bergamo,near Milano (area really far away from sea..LOL).
Too cool race this volvo ocean,even if (multyhull-dark-side-sailor now here,totally gone in brain honestly...)
Have a look at the terrific record done by the French trimaran Idec,sailed by legend francis joyon (I wellknow this is not the best place where to say a frenchman is a good fella.. ;)).They made the world tour single headed no stop..in 56 days!!! at a medium speed of 21 knots o_O ....
Curious to see if this new volvo ocean done also with multihulls will beat Idec record.

The future will be only for the multihulls...and next americas cup of 2013 will be the non returning point,if they will ever found the money to finish the catamarans AC72 (mast 60 meters tall..) ,evolutions of the starships AC45 under valutation now.

Just sad this year they didnt pass to my beloved Sweden.I have house exactly in front of the point where telefonica ship crashed on the cliff in 2009.

Back