Slot Cars. Any advice?

Hi guys, I wonder if anyone at GT40s.com has experience regarding slot cars?

I am considering building a layout in my man-cave. I fancy a two lane digital setup able to run 6 cars simultaneously. I understand Scalextrc can do this.

I am mainly interested in advice re suitable cars from the 60's for obvious reasons ;). Which makes are best, what not to buy, that sort of thing. I don't want to mix and match manufacturers too much, if the cars will have uneven performance as a result.

It would be nice to have some Le Mans prototype style cars, GT40, P4, Porsche, Chaparel etc and some GT cars such as GTO's, Jags and Mercs etc. I may even get some Nascars, because they are very colourful and likely to be less fragile?

Then, I wonder if there is a way to hook up an old pc to monitor lap times and other boring stuff like that?

I have begun googling this subject, but would appreciate any advice from the goodly folk on here first if possible.

I plan on having approximately 80 to 100 feet of track, located closely to the beer cooler!

TIA

Back in the day, my buddy and I bought a professional track from a hobby shop going out of business. We had to modify it to fit the space we had, so out came the router and plywood.

I must say, it was actually more fun to race a lot of other people at the public track, but I suppose there aren't that many of them left.

Wish I lived closer, I still have a couple of cars.

Back in the 90's in Hampton Bays (Long Island, NY) there was a slot car place that had a 6 or 8 lane track (the big 1/24 cars) modeled after Bridgehampton. Really cool. He had another crazy track for the "wing" cars and drag track too. Really cool. If I had the room I'd make one...

Here is something to consider. Build a slot car size track but run little RC cars on it. There are some incredibly accurate RC cars in slot car sizes these days. I stumbled across an indoor race they were having at a mall and could not believe how scale they were. I remember as a kid wishing I could pass and block and take lines just like real cars, but we were limited by the realities of the 'slot' in the track. Little RC cars address that issue, and they can fit on a garage size track.

(NICE model Paolo)

Scalextric are doing some nice cars in the ranges and era's your looking at, but for sheer quality, Fly Slot Cars are worth a look. Same 1/32 scale and they run on Scalextric track but there range is pretty awesome. Have a look here.

Fly Slot Cars

I've got one of their T70's and it really is a great little car.
This site is worth a look too
http://www.hotslots132.com/slot-cars-sets-and-accessories-brand-c-21.html
They seem to stock most ranges and scales.

Darren

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I usually take modern slotbody in american scale (24th) to convert into static models one off.
as this Lancia lc2 evo 1985 - 1/24 scale static model - YouTube

Holy Moley Paulo, that's stunning. Good job.

WOW!!!!! Paolo That is AMAZING!!! What stunning detail!!!! :stunned:

When I am done with my GT40 - I only hope that it looks as good as your model making!

Would you consider making a model after my car when it's done? Commissioned of course!

I am in awe....

Thanks for the feedback and advice guys. Slotforum has been a fantastic resource. I am still tweaking the layout to get the right balance of easy racing vs challenging racing. Six cars running on a two lane track is stressfull.

The next stage is to integrate the pc for pitlane speed limit, stop and go penalties and fuel burn/refueling simulation etc.

Here are a couple of pics....

Attachments

• layout.jpg
    layout.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 247
  • pitlane.jpg
    pitlane.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
WOW!!!!! Paolo That is AMAZING!!! What stunning detail!!!! :stunned:

When I am done with my GT40 - I only hope that it looks as good as your model making!

Would you consider making a model after my car when it's done? Commissioned of course!

I am in awe....

ahah, thank u randy.
Unfortunately the 1/24 scale does not start up as the real ones,otherwise i will be happy and very, very rich :D
The car in your website is simply wonderful.That combo color is stunning.
I love the gt40, is always a pleasure make theme.....even if, I am not satisfied with what scale market offers to reproduce theme.Few models take the real correct shape of the 40,and nearly no one of the nice ones is of an mk1 car.So disappointing buy (and then resell) the 1/12 by trumpeter.:sad:

Already have a big box full of "parts"....one day they will be the correct gt;)

Back