These guys are completely nuts!

Mike Pass

Supporter
It's even crazier when you stand at the side of the road and they go by at 190mph + three feet away from you.
The horrendous crash (from last year) is Connor Cummins (who is from the Isle of Man) who crashed at the Verandah at 160 mph and ended up breaking most things that were breakable. He was also leading the superbike TT that year when his bike broke down. He took part in this year's race but was naturally still not on top form yet. The circuit is one of the most amazing in the world and you can ride or drive it anyday you like as it is just on ordinary roads. A run early in the morning or early evening in my GT40 is a treat to be savoured as the mountain section has no official speed limit.
There are lots of videos on Youtube of various bikes and cars doing speedy laps. There is some very good footage of rally driver Mark Higgins doing a 115mph average lap in a Subaru Impreza where he does a very long tankslapper at the bottom of Bray hill at 150mph and just keeps it out of the scenery!
Cheers
Mike

Having driven down Bray Hill a few weeks ago with the Higgins video fresh in my mind it was even more hair raising....

The wife was not too keen on me flogging the rental car over the Mountain ...she was a little a white knuckle...

Well made video, I was wondering the fate of that rider. A horrendous crash, pleased to hear he survived that. It's not often you see footage of what can (and does) happen at the TT on a regular basis. There were a couple of crashes in the vid that tells you graphically what is at stake. The winner in the vid was John McGuinnes now a 16 time winner. Seems to me time to take his well earned laurels and retire in good grace.

These guys are the definition of "hard men".

A lap around the course is on my bucket list although I think at a much slower pace.

Back