Here kitty kitty

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Off a friends deck this morning

ruckmans_lion.jpg

ruckmans_lion2.jpg

To me it looks like proof evidence that us humans are invading the natural habitat of these animals. Whats gonna happen ?

The M Lion is going to eat a few of the chickens, perhaps kill a domestic dog etc. Owner is upset. Fetch the gun and shoot the lot.

Next week, next year it is on the endangered list.

We once had Moas in NZ. Was about as big as an Ostrich. Now all are gone. Eaten up .

Z.C.

I was told that there is a part of Africa, actually was once a game reserve but the people ate all the animals. "So not a game reserve anymore".

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
We have lots of Mountain Lions (also known as Pumas & Cougars) in the hills around the Silicon Valley, but as Michael says, they are rarely seen.

Some of our neighbors have infrared, motion, detection camaras set up and they ocassionally get a shot of one.

They mostly travel and hunt at night and almost always avoid human contact. They mostly eat deer which are very plentiful.

The only ones that get into trouble are the ones who lose their fear of humans and unfortunalty this appears to be the case with this beautiful cat.

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Mountain Lions plentiful and are not considered to be endangered species in California. There is a large population, all around the state.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
The only ones that get into trouble are the ones who lose their fear of humans and unfortunalty this appears to be the case with this beautiful cat.
I would not say cats are fearful of humans. They are apex predators. They do not seek out human contact but when confronted with it are hardly fearful. In Colorado on the front range with lots of population they will actively travel in populated areas hoping to catch fido or his pussycat friend running around in the back yard.

My Uncle used to live in Parker Colo. One night as I enojoyed a beautiful sunset from his great room he came busting in. "Have you seen Dukie?" (his very mean domestic cat) I said "No, I think he is outside". He said we needed to get him in as "he will get eaten out there". I didnt see this as a problem...LOL. Dukie needed to learn to be nicer to me :)

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
To me it looks like proof evidence that us humans are invading the natural habitat of these animals. Whats gonna happen ?

The M Lion is going to eat a few of the chickens, perhaps kill a domestic dog etc. Owner is upset. Fetch the gun and shoot the lot.

Z.C.

So sad, but so true. We'll get ours in the end...7 billion and growing, and still oblivious.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I would not say cats are fearful of humans. They are apex predators. They do not seek out human contact but when confronted with it are hardly fearful. In Colorado on the front range with lots of population they will actively travel in populated areas hoping to catch fido or his pussycat friend running around in the back yard.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that at least around here, although there are many, many Mountain Lions, they are very rarely seen.

Although they may not be afraid of humans, the ones who are out in the daylight, near homes do not last long.

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Mountain Lions plentiful and are not considered to be endangered species in California. There is a large population, all around the state.

I recently saw an estimate of from 4,000 to 6,000 Mountain Lions in California. An interesting fact, the next town south of Saratoga Village is the town of Los Gatos, which in Spanish means "The Cats", named for our Mountain Lions.

Post # 9

Urban myth, or is it International myth. I " heard " and read somewhere ( can not remember where ) that " the people" as defined in post # 9 are one of the worlds best conservationists.

Perhaps while I was dreaming in my sleep , but I have heard about it.

What does the local lads say ??

Z.C.

I haven't seen cougars like that since the last time I went bowling. (A woman over 50 and "on the prowl" is known as a cougar in the US)

We had one killed by a car in Minco, Oklahoma last week. Minco is located about 25 miles SW of Oklahoma City. They have been seen throughout the state for a few years now.

Back