A Study In Excess

Pat

Supporter
For reader interest, I like to think that some take, "There is no substitute for cubic inches" to the extreme. Attached are some local samples that include a Viper V-10 motorcycle and a blown Olds 455 in a Fiero. I would invite any of you to post other examples you may have.

Attachments

• Fiero.jpg
    Fiero.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 184
  • Blown 455 Olds.jpg
    Blown 455 Olds.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 205
  • Viper Motorcycle.jpg
    Viper Motorcycle.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 187
  • Viper Bike with Tow Car.jpg
    Viper Bike with Tow Car.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 175

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I would like to see exactly how the transmission works for that Fiero...

I'd bet a paycheck the transmission is an automatic.

Kelmark marketed a Ferarri Dino 246 replica that used a VW pan, but they did market a mid-engine chassis that used the Olds 455/front-wheel-drive automatic transmission. No standard transmissions were available for that combo (and no posi unit for the Olds automatic, either). The end result looked very much like the Fiero.

They must have been a terror on the dragstrip, but I only saw one of them on the street. Still, with all that torque from the 455 Olds engine, they must have screamed (in a straight line).

Cheers!

Doug

Last edited:

Pat

Supporter
Good call JacMac, it is a Toronado trannie. The owner, a very interesting man, indicated there isn't much burden on the transmission as the rear wheels simply break loose on any sort of hard acceleration. Given the wheelbase, I was surprised it seems to go where he points it.
I've also added two more. One is a street legal rail dragster (you ought to see him parallel park it!).
The other is… well I’m not sure what it is. The owner refers to it as an “art car”.
As one may assume, the Florida registration requirements are a bit “flexible”.

Attachments

• Winter Garden Rail.jpg
    Winter Garden Rail.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 144
  • ATT00079.jpg
    ATT00079.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Back