Dakar is on!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
The Dakar Rally

I hope you guys are watching this race, it's unbelievable.

It started a few days ago, it's being shown in th US on NBCSHD.

Great stuff, they are back in Patagonia, and believe me, Chile & Argentina are way more interesting than Africa!

The have sand dunes 1,000 feet high, this is quite a place.

On day three Robbie Gordon and his team mate last years winner Yasser Alitia are running one, two.

It will run for at least another week, don't miss it!

Last edited:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
It is great. Coverage on Eurosport one on this side of the pond.

Overall I recon Devilliers from South Africa in a Toyota truck could take it but still a lot of miles to go.

Damn I also like the trucks.

Ian

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Ian,

I understand that the Minis are just lighter, re-bodied BMW diesels from last year, so they may be tough.

I myself, I'm rooting for Robbie Gordan, I don't much care for the huge Hummers, but I always liked Robbie, he's a hot-head, always trouble, but he's a racer to his core, and I loved the racers!

I remember when they first went to South America, I was disappointed, cuz I loved the dunes, But Good God, Patagonia way out "Africa's" Africa!

Last edited:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Jim

Correct Gordon and Ayotola(SP) are very quick but they now have no tyres left (Been double stinting the tyres since first day and yesterday both had 2 punctures) as their support vehicle is WAAAAYYYYY behind - I guess admin on the logistics was not too clever. Also said last night overe here that some minor repairs were also needed but required spares were on the same truck!

Mini - that's not a Mini - the Mini was made by British Leyland that is a "huge" and made by BMW but yes they are quick.

My money is still on Devilliers

Ian

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Ian,

Do you mean to tell me that those minis do not say MOWOG on their finned aluminum sumps?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
This is turning into quite a race.

They have just passes half way, the Bikes are very close, three lead changes so far. Robbie Gordon in the huge 2wd Hummer is now in second and gaining, only five minutes back.

Can you picture a 3,000 foot high sand dune?

Now picture a hummer going down that dune at 140+ mph!

In the fascinating Trucks (big transport trucks), it looks like this Dutchman might just beat the Russins, the perennial truck winners.

Do yourself a favor and check this out. Even my wife is glued to each show.

One week to go!

Back