Daytona 24

Pat

Supporter
Is anyone going to the Daytona 24 Hours? I understand they are planning to have several of the past winners on display including at least one MKII.

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Veek,

That sounds great, the Daytonaa 24 has long been on my bucket list........

I'm afraid this year won't work, but I'm going to have to do it soon. Perhaps we can set up a gathering for next year, I understand they are going to replace the "ugly" prototypes.

Let's give it some thought...........road trip!!!:)

I am leaving tomorrow for Barrett Jackson, and will love to post photos. I don't really know how though. Maybe I can email/text them to someone and they can post for me. That would be great. There is a Superformance GT40 going through the auction on Saturday. Great placement in the auction. Then it will be off to Daytona! There will also be the Continental Race Series race before the 24. I'm looking forward to this race too.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Oh boy!

The new season starts tomarrow!!!

I've got my Tivo all set to recored the Daytona 24, Speed TV is showing most of it!

Other than my usual GT40 driving, I'll be in front of the TV:)

Pat

Supporter
I'm headed with the bride over to the Daytona 24. If any of you will be in the area and would like to get together and share an adult beverage, I can be reached at [email protected]. The Bavarian Beer tent opens at 11:00!

Pat

Supporter
For those of you that may have interest, here are the photos I took of the Rolex 24 mostly behind the scenes you may have seen on TV. We were the guests of SunTrust Racing which unfortunatly had engine failure the first hour. I spent some time taking pictures of the past winners display which included GT40 chassis 1015, the 1966 winner and LeMans runner up.

Daytona 24 2012 pictures by Veek06 - Photobucket

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
The past winners was an awesome display of incredibly iconic cars....

....we had a great time with some of the Superlite crew , Ryan Ellis, my SL-C driver had a fine race coming from last place (no qualifying time..electrical issues)to 10th place in the ST class race ...not bad having never driven the brand new build, BMW before...
Too bad about Suntrust but great for the Ford guys...
The new DP bodies certainly look much better than the 1/2nd gen cars.

Bummer about the Audi R8's having such a poor showing...I had high hopes for them...

I'm sorry that I missed you Veek. I was there in the Champions Club. I was able to spend time with Bob Bondourant and his wife Pat, Brian Redmon and of course for me, it was a pleasure to meet Sir Jackie Stewart. It would have been great to spend more time with him, but he was in such high demand. There was a special numbered hat series and of course I found 302 of 500, which they signed graciously.

The Ford Mustang was a tube car that had a failure in the welds from the rear spring perches to the frame which they fixed, and then there was a failure in the welds to the frame. I don't think that I would have felt very comfortable with driving that build. The Audis had electrical problems for the most part. It was good to see the Ford Prototypes show so well.

All in all, a wonderful event!

Pat, Thanks for posting the pics. I wanted to attend but prior duties prevented. I would have enjoyed seeing you. Looks like you and the bride had a great time and the photos show great weather which always makes things nicer.

The past winners was an awesome display of incredibly iconic cars....

Too bad about Suntrust but great for the Ford guys...
The new DP bodies certainly look much better than the 1/2nd gen cars.

Bummer about the Audi R8's having such a poor showing...I had high hopes for them...

I thought the new cars looked great. Awesome race and worthy coverage, I don't think I have ever watched that much of a 24 hour race before. I kept an eye out for you and Will in the massive crowd .... but you yoots all look the same on the tellie.

Pleased to see Ford dominate the podium, good for them (I bleed blue at heart). I liked the looks of the Vette over the Riley, but both are a large step forward. Don't fret, the Audi's will be back .... probably to dominate the class in the future.

Did you get me a "50 year" t-shirt? :)

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I thought the new cars looked great. Awesome race and worthy coverage, I don't think I have ever watched that much of a 24 hour race before. I kept an eye out for you and Will in the massive crowd .... but you yoots all look the same on the tellie.

Pleased to see Ford dominate the podium, good for them (I bleed blue at heart). I liked the looks of the Vette over the Riley, but both are a large step forward. Don't fret, the Audi's will be back .... probably to dominate the class in the future.

Did you get me "50 year" a t-shirt? :)

Rob,

I'm with you there, great coverage, I watched most of it.....

That blue Vet was really a beauty, looks alot like the SLC!

I do not remember ever seeing such a large crowd for the 24, looked like real fun.

I already told the wife that I'm going next year, you should come along!

Last edited:

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
INfield for me. Great time. Packed. Heard people say much bigger crowd than ever. Really cool event. Will do it again next year. Kind of like a Redneck Goodwood.

Pat

Supporter
It was a record crowd in the infield. In fact they actually stopped letting people in at one point on Sunday morning. The weather was perfect and the racing was close to the finish.
The only downer is the fact that they separated from the LeMans rules so you don't have the same series (and cars) at Sebring.

Back