Looking for Ferrari info.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Code:
A good friend of mine has a 1963 Ferrari 250 Lusso. It's a truly beautiful car and he's had it for almost 20 years.

It turns out that some time in the distant past, it's original motor was replaced with a motor out of a 250 SWB, and his original motor ended up in a car in Hawaii.

A little over a year ago he was contacted by an SWB owner who was looking for his original motor, as the Lusso and SWB motors differ in several respects. There was talk of a three way motor swap, making at least two of them matching number cars.

In the end, it turned out that the SWB motor in my friends car was not the right SWB motor, but was from a different SWB car.

Since then he has been trying to find out who has the SWB that his motor came from. He has tried several different methods. apparently Ferrari has the info, but they will not give it out.

Does anyone know of a Ferrari site, or Ferrari group who might help him find out who currently has this SWB?

Last edited:
Try a Ferrari owner's club? They probably would have records that might have engine numbers. Does he know where or when the swap might have occurred?

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Ferrarichat.com?

Pete frequents that forum, perhaps he can offer some advice.

Cheers!

Doug

I spend a lot of time on Ferrarichat and agree that's where you should look. There is a sub-forum on Vintage Ferraris with many knowlegable posters. One guy you will want to ping is Marcel Massini. Somebody out there will be able to steer you in the right direction.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Marcel Massini, or possibly Chuck Wray at Dew Motorcars in Sterling, VA. These motors don't get thrown away, so if he keeps at it, he's going to hit pay dirt, and maybe three old Ferraris will then have their original engines. Which would be a win-win-win for all. So to speak...

Back