any Packard fans here?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I realize this is odd in a GT40s forum, but I am curious as to whether there are any other Packard fans on this forum, and if so would they share their experiences with them? My family owned Packards when I was a little kid, and I have always been curious about them. Not exactly in the same line as GT40s, but then again I hardly ever met a car I didn't love...

I learned how to shift a three speed on the column and drive on a straight 8. At the time I didn't realize I was driving an antique.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
A local lawyer here is a Packard enthusiast and has a number of very nice examples...

Attachments

• Packard_19_260808.JPG
    Packard_19_260808.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Screen shot 2012-03-13 at 8.50.42 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-03-13 at 8.50.42 AM.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 118
  • 1928Packard.jpg
    1928Packard.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 113

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Right. Green Bay Packards. Wrong state, wrong everything, but right spirit....:) Although, who knows, Green Bay was around then, and there was probably a dealer for them; maybe there WAS a "Green Bay Packards", it's not totally out of the question....

My vote for the most beautiful prewar car of all time (and there were a lot of beautiful cars built between the wars) is the 1934 Packard, what they called the 11th series. Every time I see photos of one I am amazed all over again. They got every line right, really. Maybe one day I'll at least get a ride in one... that would be nice.

yes! my dad had several packards! i even bought one 35 years ago a 1949 and it had a straight 8 and you could not hear it while it was running! i just sold a 3 speed packard trans a year ago! great cars!!!

there was a small feature on a TV program down here a couple of nights ago about a little old lady in the States somewhere who is 101 years old still drives and her daily drive is an imaculate 1930 Packard, some one over there may have heard of her.
cheers John

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
That article was in the New York Times, and I read it (and several people sent it to me, aware of my interest in Packards) Very cool!! and she's still driving it... hopefully that will be me sometime, a hundred years old and still shifting gears...

I did look in the 1925 dealer listings. There was a Packard dealer in Green Bay, but it was called Green Bay Motors. I don't even know if the football team existed then, that far back. Close, but no cigar...

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
If you want to see what I am talking about on the 1934 cars, look for style 1108, which I think is called the convertible coupe. Wow. A HUGE car for only two people, but back then, if you spent a lot of money you got a BIG car. And about nine miles per gallon, but if you could afford a V12 Packard, you didn't worry about gas mileage.

I love packards and was the #2 bidder on one last year at Barrett-Jackson for a '34 super 8 sedan. My wife hit me when I let it go. Now I hit myself as it's little brother, though a nicer paint job, sold this year at Barrett-Jackson for 100k more.

Personally I like the lines of the Deusey. These are all beautiful cars and my favorites next to the GT 40.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
'34 Packards have always been, I think, the beauty queens of the 9-11 Series cars. But all those cars are stunning. I love Duesenbergs, too. One of our forum members has one, actually. The photo of it comes up from time to time on the home page where those photos rotate. But for the cost of one Model J Duesey, you can get four or five Packards, at least. Duesenbergs are EXPENSIVE. Kind of like 540Ks and 300SLs...

Back