Replica Crushed

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
It's only a fiberglass Gullwing, though. Real ones are steel or alloy. DB does take this very seriously, but there are some Gullwing copies out there, esp in the USA, where the reach of DB AG is not as vigorous. Ferrari have enforced this kind of thing for years- people have faked SWBs and GTOs and occasionally gotten into a lot of hot water with the factory. Even though these cars were built ages ago, Ferrari take their trademarks seriously and they don't want fakes running around.

I don't know what they do about the 330 2+2s that were turned into GTOs.......they are Ferraris, but they are not the Ferrari they appear to be once they are rebodied as GTOs....

This has gone too far. Historically, the trademark was a "mark" - a symbol or stamping or marking that signified who the maker was in order to both provide credit for the quality of the item but also to assign liability for its fault. Some of the oldest trademarks are the maker stamps on roman bricks, required by roman law in order to assign fault if bricks failed in a key structural area.

Now we're trademarking a whole car. It's not just the shape....make no mistake, the "mark" here is a whole car. If it wasn't a whole car, and instead was just the shape, then mercedes would get bent out of shape (haha) about the thousands of posters produced and out there showing the shape of the gullwing. Ferrari is taking the same approach. In any case, it's not right - if I want to build a copy of a porsche 917 or mercedes gullwing in my garage I should damn well be able to do that without the trademark police making threats, or worse yet, confiscating and destroying my property.

The reason it has gotten to this state is because it's a David and Goliath situation. Makers like Ferrari and DB have huge legal resources/$ to spend on it and expand their rights, while there's no one person or party on the other side with anywhere near equivalent resources to limit that overreaching. It's just plain wrong.

And when will the madness cease? It's getting to the point where I may disable my internet account. Ignorance really is bliss. Knowing what is going on out there is causing me too much stress.

Back