more sad news from the world of rock 'n roll

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Levon Helm, the drummer, mandolin player, singer, and songwriter for The Band, is in the last stages of throat cancer, not expected to live much longer.

Most people here are old enough to remember these guys, and how astonishingly creative and strong their music was. They sounded like an American country-rock band, but ironically, Helm was the only American in the band- the rest of the guys are from Canada. I believe that Richard Manuel died several years ago, and also Rick Danko- that will leave only Robbie Robertson and Garth Hudson, when Levon passes away. I hope that he is spared suffering as he comes to the end of a life lived with love, inspiration and achievement.

More than any other singer, Levon's voice defined the vocal sound of The Band, and his drumming was just matchless- no one sounded like him. We'll miss him, and his humor, decency, and peerless musicianship. Godspeed, Levon.. don't leave your drumsticks behind.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Oh Jimbo, that's just awful news.

I have always been a big fan of his. You all may not know this, but he was also a very good actor. He was in The Right Stuff and a great trivia answer.......he won an academy award for Best supporting actor in Coal Miners Daughter.

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
So very sad,

Anyone who does not know about "THE BAND" should watch the Martin Scorsese film, "THE LAST WALTZ". It is a documentary about their last concert. Along with Neil Young, Van Morrison, Ringo Starr, Eric Clapton, Joanie Mitchell, Neil Diamond, Ronnie Wood, Bob Dylan and the great Dr John. I highly recommend this film.

I became a fan, in 1972? I went and saw Bob Dylan at the Oalkand Coloseum, The Band was backup and as good as Dylan was, the Band stole the show. I was blown away, a very, very classy act! Robbie Robertson has more charisma than almost anyone I have ever seen.

Thankfully the Last Waltz was not their last gig, I was able to see them several more times.

Last edited:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Don't know what to say about that one. I don't disagree with you about the criminal waste of life and limb in stupid and totally un-necessary wars, but what does it have to do with the impending death of a musician I admire a lot? Did I miss something?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
If you read his biography, "This Wheel's On Fire", he talks some about his instruments and drums in particular. A good read altogether.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
See Petes 'Spare a Moment' in this paddock.
So very sad? Bollocks.

You know David, you may be right, perhaps you should stop participating in all this wastfull talk about old cars, aircraft and people.

I think your time would be better spent consentrating all your efforts in mourning the deaths in these usless wars.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
He does, that's the point.

I can tell that he feels very strongly about this issue, yet he still appears to strongly support conservative causes.

How can someone who feels so strongly about something, continue to support the very folks who got us into these useless and incredibly wastefull wars?

Keith

Er, I'm sure David can speak for himself. Conservative? I don't think so.....

Anyway, I refuse to enter any more political debate on this forum.

It's like Sir Lancelot said when he broke his lance against Mordreds shield.

"There's no point to it."

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
I love the way the Drum Kit sounds on Cripple Creek

That is sad, very sad. I hated the Band as a young metalhead and then sometime in my mid 20s watched the Last Waltz and just feel immediatley in love with the melodies and harmonies and musicianship. They made great music and Levon added the southern grit to it.

A lot of folks down my way say Freebird is THE southern rock song. They are wrong: Night They Drove Old Dixie Down without question.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
A lot of folks down my way say Freebird is THE southern rock song. They are wrong: Night They Drove Old Dixie Down without question.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Jeff, I have to agree, its a wonderful song & The Bands version is classic, but you do know that it was written by a Canadian? One who spent alot of time in the south, but a Canadian none the less:)

Pat

Supporter
Yet another bit of sad news, the passing of Dick Clark at age 82. He helped a lot of people get their start and by all accounts one of the nice guys in a rough and tumble industry.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Don't ask how i know...

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I had one of those brush with fame moments, that involved Levon Helm.

Back in the mid 1980s, my best friend and business partner Rick, heard that Levon Helm and Rick Danco were going to play at one of the clubs on Broadway in SF. He knew I was a big fan..........

A college roomate of his was now a music producer in LA and he said he would leave us some tickets at will call. We showed up for the show, the line was around the block. I got in line and Rick went up to will call. He came back just a few minutes later with a big smile, it seems we have special tickets, they ushered us right up front to a small roped off area. Free drinks...and they said there would be one other group in our section. Very cool!

A little while before the show, here comes two producers and of all people, Wavy Gravy and Sally Fields!

Now I always thought of Sally Fields as the cute, girl next door type, but in person, she was gorgeous, absolutly stunning...... Wavy Gravy, not so much.

Anyway, the show was great, and here I am sitting around smoking pot with Sally Fields and the Woodstock MC, while listening to a fantastic concert.

One of those great moments, treated like royalty and........two Oscar winners in one night.

Last edited:
Godspeed to Levon and Dick , but I don't believe Dick Clark's death will keep him from showing up on Rockn New Years !

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Don't ask how i know...

But its not all bad Andrew. I used to get free cake! :thumbsup:

Back