Doolittle Raiders 70 years later

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I passed up my usual run in 2264 to attend a special event.

Today, they had the 70th Anniversary Celebration of the famous Doolittle raid on Tokyo, April 18, 1942.

It was held aboard the USS Hornet (CV-12), tied up to the very same Alameda NAS pier where 70 years earlier the USS Hornet (CV-8) was loaded with 16 B-25 bombers, bound for Japan and glory.

The three surviving "Raiders" and General Doolittle's daughter were there and I got to meet one of my first heros. Ever since around the age of eight when I first saw the movie "30 seconds over Tokyo".

Today I got to talk to David Thatcher, the turret gunner on Ted Lawson's plane and hear them talk of their experiences.

Well, now that I think about it, when I say I met Mr Thatcher, that meeting consisted of a befuddled me stammering out "thank you Sir".

Late in the afternoon, as the band played of the Blue Yonder, they had a fly by of a B-25........... quite a day.

Last edited:
Very cool Jim. One of my prized possessions is a print signed by someone from each of the planes on that mission...one being Dolittle. I can't fathom what it must have been like on that mission.

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Very interesting and must have been a truly inspirational experience. Did you snap any picts or take some video?

The whole essence of that event has a special place in my heart too. I believe I was in 7th of 8th grade when I first read the paperback Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo, and it was compelling - even more so than the Superman series on the tele at the time. I loved the movie too!

Another separate but related movie that I truly loved so much - and retrospectively can't imagine why at such a young age - was the GREAT From Here To Eternity. Now friends, they just don't make 'um like that anymore, and don't have the actors that could either.

Thanks for sharing such a worthy event! Robert

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Veek,

I finally got a chance to look at that video you posted, what an incredable story! I must say, I had to wipe my eyes several times, thanks.

Robert,

I have to agree with you about "From Here to Eternity" what a great film.............Montgomery Clift, quite possibly the greatest actor of all time.

As the Whiffenpoofs say............

"Gentlemen songsters off on a spree, Doomed from here to eternity, Lord have Mercy on such as we......baa, baa, baa."

Last edited:
Hey Jim,
I missed you on our little Saturday thing but alas you were doing something more interesting. On the boring car front .... TWO of the new McLarens showed up. Hell, I had not even seen one yet.

I enjoyed the license plate frame on one of them which stated -

"I Like Ferraris - They Taste Like Chicken"

Veek - Just watched the video, awesome story.

Last edited:
Back