I Do Not Normally Do This Kind of Thing...

Keith

But I just wish to mention the passing of a guy that taught me everything about US V8's and drag racing. How I have left it 25 years I don't know but I got a call Sunday evening with the dreaded news. Why is it we always seem to get caught out like this?

Truthfully, this has upset me more than a bit, as this was the Happy Time for me. Drag Racing is in itself an activity you like or you don't like and in the UK it was a very low key activity. What attracted me was it was relatively easy and cheap for anyone to have fun, and, as a tinkerer, chasing that 10th was as much fun as driving.

Tony was an absolutely selfless guy who gave his knowledge freely with thought for commercial gain, and if you rocked up to his shop on Saturday he would always help. He didn't just do stuff for you though - he watched over it, while YOU did it.

I do not believe I have ever met anyone quite like that before or since, and he built engines for all my race cars.

He was the first guy running 10 second quarters in a street legal car in the UK. You have to remember we had to pay 3 times as much for our parts then than almost anyone else. Typically of him, he acquired a Gale Banks Twin Turbo set up and started experimenting. When draw through didn't work, he switched to blow through.

So just think of Tony up there in his 454 '68 twin turbo Camaro SS and raise a glass to him.

Thanks...

Tony Gransden 1948-2012, Rest in Peace

This my car at the Brighton Speed Trials 1986. Tony is in the black & white shirt. Typically, he gave up his weekend to wrench for me. I won.

Chevette.jpg

Keith,
I am sorry for your loss. Tony sounds like a great person, friend, and mentor. We all need people like him in our lives, and you have been blessed.

RIP Tony, and may you always cut the fastest lights. Sincerely, Scott

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Keith,

Sorry to hear another guiding light has gone to that place where they shine on.
Had the priviledge to know a couple. No question of money changing hands, free with their advice, enthusiasm that is infectous, knowledge that is not in books, open personalities and in my case, some of the best guys you could drink with.
As you intimated, rare.
Happy memories for you i hope.

Back