What Car Racing movie did you like the most?

For me, its Le Mans with Steve McQueen. I know the story line is none existent, and the acting was terrible. But seeing those cars up close around La Sarthe never fails to raise a few goose bumps.

I'm with Jon. Lemans would be my choice. The scene with McQueen sitting in the car just prior to the start with only his heart beat being heard........put the volume WAY UP, flag drops and POW! what a sound. Brilliant. Plus the cars look spectacular. Every time I watch the movie I think....there goes a $3 million dollar car.....there's a 5 and another 3. Who knew!

Toss up between Le Mans and Grand Prix.

The list of cameos in Grand Prix is quite a selling point: Phil Hill, Graham Hill, Juan-Manuel Fangio, Jim Clark, Jochen Rindt, Jack Brabham, Dan Gurney, Richie Ginther, Jo Bonnier and Bruce McLaren. Also, a GT40 was used as a camera car :)

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Some others that are decent:

Last American Hero
White Lightning
Winning
The Richard Petty Story

and of course Senna, although that is a documentary.

The movie that had the greatest actual influence on me was The Gumball Rally. I saw it in the theater when it was first released, at the age of 11 or so. I was so captivated that when it was done, I went in the lobby, used the pay phone to call home and tell my mom not to expect me, then went right back in and watched it again!

I now have a blue 427 Cobra replica nominally identical to the car in the movie, sitting in my garage. No accident, that! :thumbsup:

There were some great racing movies from the 1950s too, don't forget. "The Racers" is reportedly terrific; sadly I've never seen it. :sad:

1) LeMans
2) Grand Prix

Several documentaries but I don't think of them as movies.

There are some other car movies that are ok but they aren't racing movies.

Tim.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I like all the usual suspects such as Lemans and Grand Prix for the cars (acting was okay but the story lines too shallow)..
Believe it or not, there was one made back in the mid 60's or so called "The Lively Set" that really captured me and I still like to watch it from time to time... Lots of action, technology and yes, shallow story line and acting was only so-so... But the cars.. Oh yes... 23 T-Bucket, chrylser turbine car, land speed record stuff, etc..

Okay, then there's Top-Gun on an Oval track.. You may know it as Days of Thunder..

Dont forget Two Lane Blacktop, Vanishing Point and Gone in Sixty Seconds (2).. The later having the best writing and good acting of all of them.

Fast and Furious was only fun to watch to oogle the little bimbos... Cars not so much..

All greats , but I'm still partial to the original Gone in 60 Seconds , and how about some straight line action like Heart like a Wheel , or Hot Rod .
Then theres Cannon Ball Run movies , loosely based on Brock Yates exploits .
But I think White Lightning is one of my most favorites !

Back