Olympic Torch in Lymington

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I have it on very good authority that people to carry the flame through Lymington were thin on the ground. Cap'n Hardy of MV Rum Runner offered to do it on his Israeli made mobility trike with a Ferrari umbrella to stop the flame extinguishing in the torrential rain but the organisers declined on the grounds that the preceding bus could not make the same speeds as the good Cap'n and the people of Lymington were not ready for such a frightening occurrence/experience. I rang him about an hour afterwards and could barely decipher a single word - I think the rum was taking it's toll - and he just kept muttering that he wanted some sausages for breakfast. This was 3pm. He may have set course to Southampton to see if his services might be needed this evening.

Keith

Oh blimey - I have been outed!

It were wet though.......

Five minutes before the Torch.....

SANY0009-2.jpg

Three minutes before the Torch.....

SANY0017.jpg

You will notice that being British (in the main) no one moved even though some had no protection. A very British affair, to watch an aged man named "Chris" run with a metal cone for 30 seconds whilst slowly drowing through Osmosis.

Lymington is an unusual place in that it provides more Olympic Gold and Long Distance sailors than all other towns in the UK put together.

So, you might be forgiven for asking who "Chris" was. That's the point, no-one knew and no-one really cared. I found out later that "Chris" was in fact a deep sea angling champion!

The building in the background of the photographs is in fact my first home and the location for the commencment of many 'Rum do's' - pardon the pun....

What David said was perfectly true, I did volunteer but was turned down with an emotion bordering on horror...:stunned:

Back