Anglo!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know you can't use televicion shows as a real measure, but they most certainly can have an influence. As such I always have found it strange, that you often hear characters decribing themselves as Irish-American, Italian-American, African-American etc etc. I don't think a script-writer has ever penned a line for a character to be described as English-American, Dutch or German/French American either.

In daily dealings with many friends in the U.S, I can't actually remember any of them describing themselves as any of the above. So does this actually happen in real life very much at all?

The suspicious type could be lead to wonder where most of the funding (and influence) comes from, that rules the world of TV & Film and ponder if there just could be someone, or some group, most likely in league with Media moguls, stiring the racial pot without people even noticing?

In England we have a similar situation where simply calling yourself English almost necessitates an automatic caveat, "i am not a racist though"

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I know you can't use televicion shows as a real measure, but they most certainly can have an influence. As such I always have found it strange, that you often hear characters decribing themselves as Irish-American, Italian-American, African-American etc etc. I don't think a script-writer has ever penned a line for a character to be described as English-American, Dutch or German/French American either.
Posted by Mark

Mark,

You are correct, generally they are refered to as Americans of European descent, or just European Americans.

Yes Mark almost half the people in America insist on hyphenating everyone here. The other half insists we are all Americans, judged by our actions rather than our accident of birth.

My father and his family were born in Sweden. When they became citizens of the US, they became Americans, they learned our heritage and spoke English, two of the sons fought in WWII, one died after numerous missions over Germany and is buried in France. There was no waving of Swedish flags. They loved their country of origin but fully became Americans.

Keith

That's brilliant! No one ever describes themselves as English-Russian or Russian English, or Serbo-British, or Italian - English/British here.

These wonderful immigrants (mostly ex prisoners of war) so despise their adopted country that they would rather remove a gonad with a rusty spoon than pay any homage to their hosts.

You notice I deliberately do not mention anyone with a darker hue, particularly those who might be described as camel racers or sugar cane cutters etc because that would be racist and we can't have that.

I have always admired the principle in America that immigrants from wherever were proud of being "American", perhaps that is changing now.

I was also struck by the fact that amongst the 530 Americans that paraded in the stadium tonight, there didn't appear to be any American Hispanics.

I would have thought the high jump their speciality... Especially at the border... :)

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Keith,

On similar lines. I noticed the South African team parading.
I was struck by the lack of black faces. All the tv picked up was white
faces.
By recent historical events, i presume they have one hell of a shooting team
:lipsrsealed:

That's brilliant! No one ever describes themselves as English-Russian or Russian English, or Serbo-British, or Italian - English/British here.

These wonderful immigrants (mostly ex prisoners of war) so despise their adopted country that they would rather remove a gonad with a rusty spoon than pay any homage to their hosts.

You notice I deliberately do not mention anyone with a darker hue, particularly those who might be described as camel racers or sugar cane cutters etc because that would be racist and we can't have that.

I have always admired the principle in America that immigrants from wherever were proud of being "American", perhaps that is changing now.

I was also struck by the fact that amongst the 530 Americans that paraded in the stadium tonight, there didn't appear to be any American Hispanics.
I would have thought the high jump their speciality... Especially at the border... :)

What I can't understand about todays immigrants is, if you so liked your former country, want to speak the language and wave the flag, why in the hell did you come to the US, or England, or France or Spain or Germany?

Keith

Keith,

On similar lines. I noticed the South African team parading.
I was struck by the lack of black faces. All the tv picked up was white
faces.
By recent historical events, i presume they have one hell of a shooting team
:lipsrsealed:

You're dead right. I did spot that and I have no idea what this display signifies, except somehow, given the SA demographic, it just didn't feel right. We have some SA members here, I wonder if they can throw some light on it?

I don't do internetspeak but LOL at your shooting comment! You never fail to nail it mate. :laugh:

It's a curious thing, that some ethnic or ancestral groups cling to their former identity and insist on hyphenating themselves, while others fully assimilate and take pride in identifying themselves as Americans.

I am of Irish/English and French-Canadian extraction, yet I consider myself to be solely an American, period dot. Yet when I was in school, I found myself surrounded by people who were fanatical about their Irish heritage, with some going so far as to actively support the IRA. I went to an upper-crust Catholic high school, so minorities were present but weren't as militant and separationist (if you excuse the coining of that word) as they were elsewhere.

Generally though, I'd say that in the USA, groups that were at one time the object of persecution or discrimination are more likely to cling to their historical identities--the Irish really had a bad time of it 200 years ago, and of course everybody knows how the black Africans suffered. More recently the various tribes from south of the border have felt serious backlash from large elements of mainstream American society (and with good reason, I might add).

And so you see lots of craven opportunists who elevate themselves to positions of power and prestige by actively working to carve out sections of our society, group them together, and convince them that they are unfairly persecuted and only they, the Anointed Ones, can save them. The irony is, these people require that the people they ostensibly represent continue to suffer in poverty and ignorance; if they somehow elevate themselves, then the opportunists suddenly lose their reason to exist, and their power base.

I'm speaking of people like Jesse Jackson, and a certain 'community organizer' who managed to talk his way into the White House, and people of that ilk.

It truly saddens me that the greatest part of our American heritage, which is the concept of abandoning prior identities and fully embracing America (the whole 'melting pot' thing) has seemingly gone out of style. Now it seems that everybody tries to hyphenate themselves, usually while claiming ongoing persecution and sticking their hand out at the same time.

An interesting exception is the various Asian tribes. While arguably they suffered second-class status for a very long time, their culture and family values led them to seek to elevate themselves through hard work and dedication. This has actually come to work against them--if you are Asian, you will actually be denied admission to certain prestigious universities because of a misguided attempt to 'balance' admissions. Using WASPS as a standard, Asians have to achieve much higher scores to be allowed in, while hispanics and various 'people of color' have much lower standards to meet.

This is the sort of institutionalized racism which is perfectly acceptable to the left-wing liberal elite, ostensibly as payback for unfair treatment to people that were born generations ago. (The fact that Asians suffered this sort of treatment and therefore theoretically should be afforded the same preferential treatment doesn't fit in with their narrative, so they are quietly ignored even as they are discriminated against).

If we were truly a color-blind society, a meritocracy if you will, then the country would look very different indeed. As an advocate for that sort of thing, I find it tragic that we continue to perpetuate racism and discrimination in any form. Having served in the military for the past 23 years (and counting), I am at least isolated from that sort of thing, because the military is truly the most color-blind institution in the country, where advancement is almost solely based on performance, aptitude, and hard work (and, admittedly, a fair amount of ass-kissing at times! :laugh:)

I really wish that our first non-white President had been Colin Powell. Rather than pitting one group against the other in order to exploit them for his own personal gain, as the Obama crowd does, I truly believe he would have tried to instill the military's merit-based ideology on our country, which definitely would have made it a much better place than it is right now.

Back