Speed or revival?

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
We are planning another trip, so I would like some opinions. to you which is more fun and why? The Goodwood festival of speed or the Revival?
From the outside looking in both seem to have appeal, but I would appreciate opinions from those who have been to them.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Pete,
Both are superb though the calender dates of the speed allows more events either side. Both are easily accessible from here in Marlow and usually all the hotac in the Goodwood area (pilot speak for hotel and accomodation) is booked at least 5 years ahead/ago. So - which ever is your choice you know where you are staying. The GT40 enthusiasts club meeting is a but a short drive and a couple of years back a few of the guys in their wonderful cars came here to the Queens Head pub for lunch - most in the village still talk about it and asks when it will be repeated. I think your visit might just be the catalyst.

Dave.

ps. if you did the revival, what does a swagman look like?

Glenn M

Supporter
Hi Pete,
IMHO you are generally either a revival person or an FOS person. Having been to both I personally don’t think the FOS holds a candle to the Revival. It all comes down to what floats your boat. I love the older cars, Goodwood circuit and almost everyone in some form of period dress along with the reversion to a lost age of manners that people seem to remember by so dressing. There is so much going on at the Revival with all the stands, shows, music etc that it is almost impossible to see it all. The cars/racing is the key though. As I said, I love the oldies. Sure there are some at the FOS but seeing new manufacturer’s cars, some F1 and rally cars, personally waters it all down for me as they don’t do it for me. It’s difficult to put a finger on it but I guess the Revival just has more atmosphere, and of course it has our favourite cars slugging it out door handle to door handle. Not to mention the wonderful air shows with that gorgeous Merlin sound. It really is as they say a “magical step back in time”.
You can get up close to the cars in the paddock at both and both are an easy way to spend a lot of money. One has Goodwood house as the backdrop and you see the cars once on the way up and then coming back slowly, whilst the other is at Goodwood circuit and they race. It’s obvious which my favourite is, but to recommend one over the other to someone coming so far, phew, tough call.
There are people with a diametrically opposite view of course, and long may there be so, but I hope this has helped a bit!
Glenn

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
They are both something totally different and I don't see it the same way as being one or the other sort of person. Anyway, for me, the Revival is becoming the "Ascot of the petrol heads" and if it were me it would be too late in the summer to combine it with a trip to the GP at Silverstone and the 24h Le Mans - especially IF you are flying half way around the globe to do it as well.
Anyway , looking at the met we are suffering this year, the Revival may well be a weekend of welly boots instead of high heels and people learning to swim. This is August and I'm working at the 1000km at Silverstone this week for Audi. Already the discussion is about deep tread wets.(nicknamed monsoons). If that happens at Goodwood, some of the cars entered do no have the tyre resources -in fact they might not even have
such a thing as inters. The same thing happened in 1997 when I was with Schnitzer and the cars were running with a bow wave, and there was sea state 6 waves on the Hanger Straight.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Pete,

I know i' m just a sea shanty on this site, lol.
#Revival* would be my choice, much classier and wheel to racing, which can't be beat.
However after the FOS is the Le Mans Classic, comes next weekend after, so what can beat that ???

The night racing at The Classic was just superb this year. If you need help with accomodation , just holler. But it needs to be fixed 12 months before for good rates and location.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Pete, the Revival - end of story !

I was lucky enough to manage a visit in 2008 & words fail me when trying to describe the atmosphere, let alone the mind-boggling array of cars being given "a bit of stick" on the track, the historic aircraft on display & in the air, etc.

A stand-out for me was when the commentator was introducing a race with a few GT-40's in it, he mentioned (in a very understated manner) that the total value of the cars on the grid was around 80mGBP !!!!

Part of the fun was the period dress "requirement" - as mentioned previously, this seems to impose an air of civility on the whole event & I found it to be a delightful exercise in time travel back to the "Golden Era"

Just do it !!

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks everyone for your input and kind offers. We have decided on the Revival
2013, what made my mind up was the chance to see and hear some vintage war
Birds as well as the cars. Peter your comment that their was an air of "civility"
About the event was also a factor. It will be a challenge to change that around in good old Aussie style.:laugh::laugh:
The date suits us and the other things we plan to do. We will probably go to the Singapore G.P.on the way home as well.
David, do I really have to dress like a swagman?

Keith

A "jolly" swagman remember.... :laugh:

I believe you have to dress up in "something" reflecting the Glorious Goodwood era. Many people opt for military uniforms and 50's style, which is easy for us as we never stopped wearing it!

My overriding memory of the revival (which is my favourite - FOS has turned into a "Family Show") is of a Spitfire and Mustang flying wing tip to wing tip at about 50' ft between the 2 stands at the chicane over the Banquet Marquee about 4 years ago. I don't have a lot of hair but every bit of it was erect!

The smell of Castrol 'R' and the sight of all the motors I ever messed about with racing around....what's NOT to like?

Let me know where you're staying and I might do a drive by.. I won't go to the show itself as not very practical for me these days. My boat is about 4 miles away!

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Keith,
Do I hear the sounds of an insipient piss up on board the Rum Runner next year?
Can we - can we...?

I might go to the revival as Mick Dundees manager.....

Keith

Great idea David.. Yes, we could go for a "booze cruise" indeed!

Can't wait......

How's Silverstone looking mate? Damp? Windy?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Windy indeed. Plenty of clouds and rain to go with them.
Monsieur Claude Nehum was there campaigning his 40. Nice chap
and he popped over for a chat.
Tomorrow should be a nice day - a nice one to end the season on.
A booze cruise is what I really need now.
(I hope I've spelled his name correctly)

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Tomorrow rounds off the season for me with Audi Motorsport and Team Joest. It was a successful day today in qualifying so lets hope
Alan McNish does the business in the race. He's driving the 'normal' diesel and achieved P2 and the Hybrid Audi got P1.
Anybody going there tomorrow? Might be a nice day after the windswept rainy day we had today.
Dave

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter

Date: 25 August 2012 17:35:05 GMT+01:00

To: [email protected]

Subject: Grid positions one and two for Audi at Silverstone

<STYLE type=text/css> h1,.h1 { display: block; color: #000000; font-family: 'Audi Type Extended', Verdana, Helvetica Arial, sans serif; font-size: 20px; letter-spacing: 1px; margin: 0; } h3,.h3 { display: block; color: #000000; font-family: 'Audi Type Extended', Verdana, Helvetica Arial, sans serif; font-size: 16px; letter-spacing: 1px; margin: 0; } h4,.h4 { display: block; color: #6d7579; font-family: 'Audi Type Extended', Verdana, Helvetica Arial, sans serif; font-size: 16px; letter-spacing: 1px; margin: 0; } .date { font-family: 'Audi Type', Verdana, Helvetica Arial, sans serif; font-size: 14px; font-weight: bold; line-height: 1; vertical-align: bottom; } .content div { font-family: 'Audi Type', Verdana, Helvetica Arial, sans serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; } .content2 div { font-family: 'Audi Type', Verdana, Helvetica Arial, sans serif; font-size: 10px; line-height: 1.4; color: #6d7579; } td.content2 { background: #d5d9d8; padding-bottom: 20px; padding-top: 20px; padding-left: 50px; padding-right: 50px; } td.content2 a { color: #6d7579; } .image { font-family: 'Audi Type', Verdana, Helvetica Arial, sans serif; font-size: 10px; line-height: 15px; } td.image img { margin-bottom: 5px; margin-top: 5px; } a:link,a:visited { text-decoration: none; color: #000000; } ul { margin: 15px; padding: 0px; } </STYLE>
<CENTER><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=20 width="100%" height="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle><TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #666666 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #666666 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #666666 1px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #666666 1px solid" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=600 bgColor=#ffffff><TBODY><TR><TD>
header-mediainfo.png
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
audi_motorsport_140.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=600><TBODY><TR><TD>
red-line2.png
</TD><TD class=date vAlign=bottom align=right>2012/08/25</TD><TD width=50>
spacer.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=600><TBODY><TR><TD height=55 colSpan=3>
spacer.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD width=50>
spacer.gif
</TD><TD class=content>Grid positions one and two for Audi at Silverstone

• Benoît Tréluyer claims pole position
  • Allan McNish only one hundredths of a second behind
  • Unsettled weather causes tricky conditions
Ingolstadt/Silverstone, August 25, 2012 - Perfect qualifying result in England: Despite the difficult weather conditions Audi secured the fastest time in qualifying for the fourth time this season in the FIA World Endurance Championship WEC. Audi remains unbeaten in qualifying in the first half of the season after Benoît Tréluyer took pole position in the Audi R18 e-tron quattro at Silverstone. Both Audi R18 sports cars start from the front row on Sunday (August 26, 12:00).

The spectators were treated to a thrilling 20 minute long qualifying session as the tire choice was not easy on the damp track at the start. Audi started qualifying with both R18 sports cars on intermediate tires. Initially Allan McNish held sway in the conventionally powered Audi R18 ultra with start number ‘2’. Afterwards, on the drying track the lap times improved by seconds. When both Audi drivers swapped from intermediate tires to slicks at the halfway stage, Toyota took first place. Three minutes before the end of the session Allan McNish moved to the front. Benoît Tréluyer, who is driving for the first time at Silverstone, countered with a lap time of 1m 43.663s. The Le Mans winner in the Audi R18 e-tron quattro with start number ‘1’ bettered the time of his team mate by two tenths of a second. Allan McNish then went on to improve again. The Scotsman was beaten in qualifying for his home race by the incredibly small margin of one hundredths of a second.

Following the exciting battle between the concepts the Audi hybrid car defended its unbeaten run: at the second race of the season at Spa as well as at the 24 Hours of Le Mans the Audi R18 e-tron quattro remained unbeaten in all three qualifying sessions. It was the first fastest time of the season for Benoît Tréluyer.

Qualifying at Silverstone rounded off a perfect qualifying Saturday for Audi. Roughly two hours before, the brand clinched the first five grid positions at the DTM race at Zandvoort.

Qualifying result

1. Fässler/Lotterer/Tréluyer (Audi R18 e-tron quattro) 1m 43.663s
2. Kristensen/McNish (Audi R18 ultra) 1m 43.673s
3. Wurz/Lapierre/Nakajima (Toyota) 1m 44.411s
4. Leventis/Watts/Kane (HPD-Honda) 1m 46.160s
5. Prost/Jani (Lola-Toyota) 1m 46.207s
6. Belicchi/Primat (Lola-Toyota) 1m 46.234s
7. Brabham/Chandhok/Dumbreck (HPD-Honda) 1m 46.758s
8. Ordonez/Brundle/Brundle (Zytek-Nissan) 1m 49.964s
9. Potolicchio/Dalziel/Sarrazin (HPD-Honda) 1m 49.997s
10. Martin/Charouz/Graves (Oreca-Nissan) 1m 50.129s

- End -

Photographs and information available at www.audi-motorsport.info

</TD><TD width=50>
spacer.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD height=20 colSpan=3>
spacer.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD width=50></TD><TD height=2>
hr.png
</TD><TD width=50></TD></TR><TR><TD height=20 colSpan=3>
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
</TD><TD class=content>Contact

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=500><TBODY><TR><TD class=content vAlign=top width="50%">Audi Communications Motorsport
Jürgen Pippig
Telephone: +49 (0)841 89 34200
E-mail: [email protected]
www.audi-motorsport.info
</TD><TD class=content vAlign=top width="50%">
Eva-Maria Veith
Telephone: +49 (0)841 89 33922
E-mail: [email protected]
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD width=50>
spacer.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD height=20 colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD width=50>
spacer.gif
</TD><TD height=2>
hr.png
</TD><TD width=50>
spacer.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD height=20 colSpan=3>
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
</TD><TD class=content>Related pictures

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=500><TBODY><TR><TD class=image vAlign=top width=115>
download_newsletter_image.php

Audi R18 e-tron quattro #1 (Audi Sport Team Joest), Marcel Fässler (CH), André Lotterer (D), Benoît Tréluyer (F)
</TD><TD width=13></TD><TD class=image vAlign=top width=115>

Audi R18 ultra #2 (Audi Sport Team Joest), Tom Kristensen (DK), Allan McNish (GB)
</TD><TD width=13></TD><TD class=image vAlign=top width=115>

Benoît Tréluyer (F), Marcel Fässler (CH)
</TD><TD width=14></TD><TD class=image vAlign=top width=115>

Allan McNish (GB)
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>

Back