You might as well have jumped.

Are we to think it was brought down by small arms fire? It sounded like they were shooting AK's at it when it was clearly out of range. But then, what the heck would I know??

Keith

Awful. You are watching the deaths of at least 3 people maybe more...

It may have been on a medical mission...:sad:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Bad taste Andrew... :(

Indeed people were trapped in a helicopter in obvious distress and the cowards blew them out of the sky... :(

There is a special place in hell for cowards like that and I hope their coffee is cold too...

Cowards????

Heard this afternoon on radio news: Regular syrian army bombed a "rebels" village today. it was an air force strike.

Killed more than 40 civils. Reported to have bombed a mosque. loads of children in the 40+

Before anybody enters a "verbal fight", I am part of the ones who are thinking that every fundamentalists, radicals, and extremists should be sent to Mars, without the right suit... But, a child is a child. Muslim or not...

Olivier

Keith

Well, I'm glad they got the ones responsible then.. didn't they? :worried:

War is war and nasty Olivier, no denying. No flames from me. But I cannot watch people dying like that, anyone at all, without feeling emotion.

Some would say that videos like this bring the awful reality of war to your consciousness, but to me, it just ends up on Youtube with a bunch of hateful comments from the snuff voyeurs.

Sorry, that's the way I am.

Someone on here will likely pop up and say that I am against freedom of speech. You know who you are.

I read elsewhere that the Syrian military helicopter (the kind used to routinely strafe and rocket civilians) was hit by an SA-7 surface-to-air missile. It was in the process of falling out of the sky when the rebels were cheering and celebrating by firing their guns in the air, and chanting "Allah Akbar". Then partway through falling to the ground, it blowed up.

It's a bit scary to consider, because the 'good guys' on the ground are, in many cases, Muslim extremists. Once they succeed (if they succeed) in toppling the Syrian government (which certainly deserves to be toppled), what are they going to do with all that idle time on their hands and (presumably) more SA-7 missiles sitting around?

The next video you see could well be a civilian airliner falling out of the sky...:stunned:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
You know, I don't think our troops are in the habit of saying "Thank you, Jesus" or "Sh'ma Yisroel" when they blow up their enemies.

Just saying.

As a matter of fact, I think the ONLY time I hear "Allahu Akbar" is when someone gets blown up. I guess if you have Muslims fighting Muslims there's a lot of Allahu Akbaring going on. Maybe I'm not listening at the right times.

Hard to know Allah's opinion, since he probably has an unlisted number, but I wonder how pleased he is with his devotees blowing each other up. Kind of difficult to keep a religion going, what with suicide bombers PLUS Muslims killing Muslims.

When you climb into a combat helicopter, people are going to shoot at you. Ugly to watch- but war isn't exactly pretty, now is it?

I dislike comparing deaths, but frankly, there are much worse ways to sign off. Better that than surviving a crash-landing and getting ripped apart by the oh so enlightened human race.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
With that sort of rate of descent in a machine with a large internal fuel tank, post crash survival was not an option. Better to have jumped and get a free skydive on the way to the pearly gates/valhalla /wherever they go.
See the tank in this clip. With so much fuel in the machine could probably loiter fror two or three hours.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNmQkl_w-hc[/ame]

Last edited:
Gentlemen, what you are watching is a civil war. Civil wars are notoriously bloody, as we all know from our relative histories, and this one no less so.

People are dying every day in Syria, and like in any civil war its the innocent that are paying the heaviest price.

Whatever your thoughts on the video, it leaves you in no doubt of what is happening inside Syria, and the price that is being paid on both sides.

For that, its posting should be commended.

Hopefully, one day, videos of Syria will feature scenes of a free people living in peace.

Pat

Supporter
David, an SA7 would have left a smoke signature and their effects are primarily frag vs explosive. It looks to me the craft was hit prior to the video start, it was burning and the pilot seemed to have it somewhat under control in an autorotation spiral. Then it appears something exploded. Given the violence of the detonation, I'd say something explosive cooked off. MI8's are twin turbined and I don't think that explosion looks like Jet A.
It's estimated that 30K have been killed in the Syrian uprising, the majority of which are innocent civilians. The acts of the Assad regime (and its allies) on the Syrian people are nothing short of mass murder of the defenseless.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Veek,
This was a briefing report I picked up after it was unclassified.
The air also seemed to full of lead which often is also incendiary
and it was probably not too difficult to aim with the usual deflection
required. Avtur (jet A1) can be just as volatile as any other ( SOAF
used to use it as an airburst bomb in 60gallon drums with two 5 second
grenades as the the trigger. The camels didn't know what happened.
No camel , no transport, no attacks and often no survival.

Pat

Supporter
I'd still put my money on a secondary cargo detonation David. Thankfully I haven't seen too many aircraft hit but they seem to look more like the attached:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wobG_68P_LE&feature=related]Stinger in Afghanistan - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjvUOq680Qo]Bell Huey UH-1 Helicopter shot down by missile - YouTube[/ame]

I had some experience with the Stinger's predecessor, the Redeye, being the first one to fire one from the first military instructional class. Based on that and watching several firings, I'd have to agree that the filmed conflagration was some sort of secondary explosion. The missile, at least the Redeye, left a very visible (and trackable to the ground) trail.

I wonder what caused that huge secondary explosion. I don't care how much fuel is on board, we all know fuel needs to be atomized then mixed with the proper amount of air to get an explosion.

Back