US Visit

HILLY

Supporter
Hi All,
Apologies straight up if this is the wrong spot but here is my query anyway.
It looks likely that the Boss, two daughters and I will be visiting the US West Coast in the last half of December and moving across to the East Coast during the first couple of weeks January.
Other than a short visit to Indianapolis for work this will be our first opportunity to have a good look around and absorb as much of the US as we can in a very limited time.
The crew are already putting their hit lists together and I would really appreciate any advise on the must see and do activities and in particular anything and everything that is GT40 related is a must.
I am really looking forward to catching up with some people that I have had dealt with for a long time now and finally get the chance to meet them in person as well as hopefully getting close to some of the bits of the Holy Grail (GT40) puzzle !
Any suggestions would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

HILLY

Supporter
Hi Dave,
At the moment we have only locked in Maine and then NY but then have plans to move through to Washington and then either down to Florida or possibly across to Chicago ?

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
G'day, mate!

While on the West Coast, Disneyland and California Adventure right next door (it's an 'annex' to Disneyland actually) are an absolute must see for your two girls!

HILLY

Supporter
Hi Larry,
I'd imagine that Disney is on the top of their list and I will give them the heads up on CA Adventure.
Cheers

Peter,
What part of Maine is your family going to be visiting? During December there is not a lot to do up here unless you are going skiing or if the daughters are younger there is Santa's Village in NH.
There is one chap from southern maine who is a must stop at as he has original and reproduction GT40 parts...
Regards,
Mark

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
There are several great places to chose from and visit in Colorado while passing through. Vail, Aspen, Breckinridge, Winter Park... lots of cool ski/resort towns to wander around and soak up the local culture and cut the some runs if you're so inclined. You may never want to leave though so be prepared :)

The Shelby Museum is pretty cool too...

http://shelbyamericancollection.org/collection.html

gt40.jpg

HILLY

Supporter
Mark, Definitely on the list.

Mike, You have hit on one of my main fears in that hope to be able to step back long enough to absorb the culture.
Realistically this will be a hectic trip to expose the girls to all of the big ticket attractions an essentially just dipping the toes in the water to setup future visits.
I like the look of the museum....Very cool indeed !!

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Although admittedly I don't know how well this would work out 'logistically' (because your daughters are with you), I'd be remiss if I failed to suggest you also include a stop in LAS VEGAS on your way East!

HILLY

Supporter
G'day again Larry !
Haha...I totally missed your colloquialism in your fist post.
It was just natural reading for an Aussie.
Vegas is on the list but trying to fit it all in is going to be a mission as you have eluded to.
Good on ya mate.
Cheers

Ellis Hubbard

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Peter,

If you can stop by Cincinnati, Ohio either on your way to or from Indianapolis, come see me. I'm just off I-74 at exit # 7 in Ohio about 90 miles east of Indianapolis. I have a MK I,
2 MK V's, a GTD, an AC Cobra, a Shelby GT500 and another dozen or so cars to see. If its at lunch or dinner we have a very good place to eat just down the street. All I need is a one day notice if you can stop. My wife and I were in Sidney for a few days last Aoril, we had a great time. Let me know what you think and if it doesn't work out have a great time in America.

Ellis Hubbard

Attachments

• IMAG0127.jpg
    IMAG0127.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 154

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Sorry - have to move to the Paddock...

Enjoy your visit to the USA!

HILLY

Supporter
No problem Randy, Thanks.
Hi Ellis, Thankyou so much for the offer, it would be our pleasure to visit and view your impressive collection.
I will add it to the list and see if we can make it happen.

Pat

Supporter
If you get to Florida, as noted elsewhere, the 2013 Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance (March 8-10) will honour the 50th anniversary of the Porsche 911 and the Ford GT40, as well as the cars of Harry Miller. Amelia is off I-95 north of Jacksonville. If you get to Orlando, let us know!

See the official website: Amelia Concours D'Elegance

Back