F1 in 2013

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Can we re establish an unwritten rule that the results of F1 races are not discussed for about 24 hours afterwards. Because of the wide geographic area this website covers, quite a few amongst us record the races as we are under the covers doing what most of us do under the covers.
Or even sleeping....

I have learned over the years not to open this thread up until after I watch the race. It has been a great season and a great Grand Prix in Brazil. A little rain always makes for a fun F1 Race.

Yes David, we should have an understanding to not post for 24 hours.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I personally wonder why anyone would open this thread until they have seen the race. If you dont want to know, why open it? If we all agree to that, then we can enjoy talking about the race while it's fresh in our minds, or maybe even while they are underway.

To me, that makes by far the most sense.

Last edited:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I agree with both of the above. I just finished watching the race (couldn't have be scripted better), and knew better than to look at this string before watching the finish.

On another note, I hate that SPEED is not televising F1 next year, so I guess I need to look outside (unless FOX is taking it for the entire year?).

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Terry,

In 2013, the F1 races will be shown on CBS, I just heard that Hobbs, Machett and Will Buxton have been signed to do the races...........Great news!

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I also do not open this thread until I have watched the race, nor do I listen to news services, however common courtesy should see people following David's
Suggestion.

Malcolm

Supporter
If you don't want to know the result of a race, avoid anywhere where a result might be posted, that is the golden rule of watching a recorded or delayed sports programme. I am quite happy to be courteous to my elders but if they rely on that for this thread then with the world wide audience of both this forum and F1, then they should expect to be let down. Repeatedly.

Personally I think this thread belongs in the Race Track forum not the Paddock, but hey ho! Anyone who has blocked veiwing the paddock due to the silly amount of politics discussed will miss quite an informative thread that is related to their hobby.

Keith

How times have changed. A few years ago we had a gentleman's agreement (before certain people "discovered" this site) not to post results here until the Monday PM (GMT) following a GP and this has served well for almost 10 years.

And now we get "if you don't like it- don't look at it"

Charming....

Anyway, what did Malcolm say? He's on a list... :laugh:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Waiting 24 hours did not work this week, did not work last week and did not work the race before that, I only checked the last three. If you do not want to know who won do not listen to the radio, do not watch the "news" and do not open F1. Its really very simple!

I say let the rest of us discuss it while its fresh in our minds, or even while its underway.

Thats just my opinion, but I will refrain from talking about it for 24 hours, so that folks who have not yet watched the race and do not want to know who won can still open F1 to check for????????

Malcolm

Supporter
Anyway, what did Malcolm say? He's on a list... :laugh:

I'm on a list? Woohoo! At last I said or did something that mattered to someone. Before, I was just a nobody but now I am on a liist. That has made my day, thanks Keith (if you get to read this that is!) :)

F1 in 2013 will be broadcast on NBC, not CBS, with them picking up most of the Speed announcers. March 17th, let's go.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Ron,

So F1 coverage is moving from the Fox people to the MSNBC people. Now thats change we can believe in:)

Malc, is that right? I was wondering what percentage of veiwers Sky actually got, I would always prefer BBC and not pay Sky, even if it meant delays. Whats the consensus ? Frank

The Sky stuff in HD 5.1 is free so long as you have a sky hdbox. The coverage has been fantastic. Access to much more of the whole F1 weekend than I have ever seen before and the ability selct the camera you want to view from is awesome.

Hey Ho. Lets take a step back in viewing evolution, just for old time's sake :(

Malcolm

Supporter
At the end of the last broadcast from Brazil I am sure they made reference to all races next year being live coverage. Then they went on to introduce Jake Humphries' replacement but that has to be a spoof as no way is Bernie Ecclestone going to be the Beebs anchor man. Not havng seen any Sky coverage this year, I had to rely on the Beeb and even though most races were highlights, it sufficed for me. I just hope next year is as interesting as this year and that no team runs away with it.

Malcolm

Supporter
Unusual for you not to be ahead of the game David. I often come to this thread because you know stuff before even Eddie Jordan! Given a free choice I would like Martin Brundle back on the Beeb with DC even though I rate Ben Edwards as very good too.

Last Saturday I had a 3 hour tour of the McLaren Technology Centre and got to see lots of great stuff. McLaren are a lot more human than you initially think. As well as looking at many F1 cars I also got to see the Le Mans winning F1 GTR (and other F1 road and race cars) plus an MP4 12C spyder which I think looks better than the version with a roof. McLaren also had their land speed record car on display but the project got canned after Thrust SSC success. Mclaren M8D was there as well as Bruce's Austin Seven that he won his first race in aged 15. Saw lots more this visit compared to my first visit 4 years ago. But regretfully no P1 prototype lying about! All just fabulous.

Next year it will be interesting to see how Sergio and Jenson work together as both are good on their tyres whilst Lewis was a tyre eater by comparison. The car will be specific to a single driving style now so hopefully both will do really well. Sergio needs to up his game though after a disappointing run late this year.

Agree with the other comments about Kimi, a good come back year so could be even better next year. I hope Grosjean can turn things round as I like the guy.

Last edited:
Back