Sandy Hook School massacre,12-14-12

There has been a school shooting, another mass murder, at an elementary school several miles from where I live. The shooter has killed 27 people, 18 of them were elememntary school children. 30 people were shot and only 3 survived. The shooter killed his own mother, a teacher at the school. Please say a prayer for the victims and families of this tragedy.

Some of the dust has settled and the unfortunate statistics show 20 children, 6 adults dead and 1 wounded at the school, the shooter's mother dead in her home nearby plus the shooter dead as well. This small New England community is in total shock, as is the rest of the country. This has expanded to a world-wide tragedy and there has been a heightening for stricter gun control. I don't know what to say to the folks who would place tighter controls on gun ownership. I am a gun owner as are many here on the forum. I, and I hope all others here, keep my firearm locked up and hidden as well any ammunition. It is often an illegally obtained gun that is involved in such acts. Additionally, the forum members should know that the shooter was 20 years old and could not have purchased, legally, a gun here in Connecticut where the minimum age to own/purchase is 21. And that's after a rigorous background check which includes mental instability records (CT has some of the more stringent requirements for ownership). I think the fact that the shooter had past/ongoing mental problems was paramount here but there is another factor.
I believe the media feeds these latent assasins' need for attention. In a warped sense of vindication, these people know such an event will get them the attention they crave, highlighting their plight, real or imagined, even if posthumously.
It's almost impossible to stop the fanatic from accomplishing his/her task and these events will occasionally occur. We can only hope that those who know these potential powder kegs will come forward with the knowledge that they're a grenade about to go off. That aside, we can only hope to minimize the the outcome. It is there where media attention plays a part.
I would be interested in hearing anyone's opinion on this media theory.

These tragedies are always pounced on by those who hate the Second Amendment, and it becomes more difficult to fight them off every time they happen. The public is so easily manipulated. It is hard to prove how many thousands of crimes are stopped by a weapon in the hand of a potential victim, and those who wish to disarm us will keep those stories of self preservation out of the news media.

Attachments

• signs.jpg
    signs.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 173
  • penn.jpg
    penn.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 178

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I happen to agree Lonesome, but I hope we can rise above the political shit and just pray to whatever god you follow for the victims and the families of them and indeed the shooters family as well.:cry::cry:

Couldn`t believe it first; no, please, not again.
I pray for the innocent, small victims and for their families.
This is so wrong, and I feel sick.

Our police forces reacted; they gonna keep tight tolerance with internet talks. There is good reason to believe there`s gonna be copycats.
But it won`t help much i`m afraid. I mean, You just can`t know what sick minds are planning.

I read after last attack here there was some internet connections between potentially-can-do-it-too -idiots over the world.
So far school massacres, reported ones, happened mainly in usa, finland, hungary, germany, canada and israel.

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
The reports indicate that the guns (2 handguns and a Bushmaster .223) were purchased by and registered to his mother. As I understand it the Bushmaster was found in the trunk of his car.

Dave L

As to God, someone said a long time ago, in relation to a mass shooting in a school, "This is what happens when you take God out of school and replaced Him with grief counselors."

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
As to God, someone said a long time ago, in relation to a mass shooting in a school, "This is what happens when you take God out of school and replaced Him with grief counselors."

In some of the world God is forced into the classroom, only they call him Allah, hows that working for you?

Thats right, we just need more guns, arm the childeren, that will fix the problem!

Last edited:

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Sometimes I wonder if we need guns at all.

Then others I agree with you, Jim....a derringer in every crayon box.

Laws can't help keep us safe anymore....notice the increasing number of gated communities. I work for Texas Department of Criminal Justice and it's amazing, some of these retreats are as secure, if not more so, than the prisons. All that is needed is a guy in a tower....oh, wait, we had one of those, guys....some guy shooting students with a high power rifle from a bell tower in Austin, Tx. You might have heard or read about it.

We can't stop the crazies, guys....or the zombies (I just said that for my daughter's sake, who really believes that there will be a zombie apocalypse soon). They are, they have always been, they always will be:

Cain slew Able,
Seth knew not why.
said "If the children of Israel
are supposed to multiply,
why must any of the children die?

So he asked the Lord,
and the Lord said.....

"Man means nothing,
he means less to me
than the lowliest cactus flower
or the humblest yucca tree.
He chases around this desert
'cause he thinks that's where I'll be.
That's why I love mankind.
You really NEED me.
That's why I love mankind."

....none other than Randy Newman, and there's more:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKfxqWgGRBQ[/ame]

Do we really need guns?
Do we really need religion?
.....aaaahhh, the existential question!!!!

Cheers?

Doug

Last edited:
I have to agree with Pete on this one. Can we leave the political posturing out of this thread. Maybe we should start another one for those feeling the need to discuss the gun rights issues. This particular mass murder is sad enough without deluting it with our personal beliefs.

Let's give our thoughts and prayers to the innocent children that have lost their total future and to the heros, the adults that died trying to protect those innocent lives.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
It's not a gun rights issue for me.

It's a "Why the hell would he shoot children?" issue.

Did you listen to the song? There's another whole line about "why must the children die..."

"I take from you your children
and you say "How blessed are we!"

I dedicated 32 years of my life to a teaching career, you don't do that if you don't have a soft spot in your heart for kids...helping students with special needs in public elementary schools, so you can imagine how close this is for me :idea: .

Yeah, I've done my share of cring over it, too...just can't figure out why it had to be.

Not politics on this one....sorry..

Doug

Last edited:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

Actually, asshole Mike Huckabee said pretty much that yesterday. What a cheap shot. As if you have a choice of god or grief counselors, and have to pick one or the other? What a race to the bottom on the opportunistic bullshit express.

Makes me sick.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
There's a difference between hunting firearms and handguns. We have too many fucking handguns in this country, we have had them for decades, and our elected reps and CE need to grow a pair and do something about it. Essentially we live in a country where the rights of people to own handguns is far more important than the safety of our citizens. This is a ridiculous fucking situation and you all know it. I am not talking about hunting rifles or shotguns etc. There is no god damned reason why we have to live in a country awash with handguns except for the fact that the NRA and their cohorts have forced us to.

When I started the thread all I asked for were prayers for the victims and their families - didn't intend to start an argument on gun ownership. Thanks to you folks who have expressed their sympathies for those affected. This is actually a double whammy for the little state of Connecticut - just a few short years ago, in Cheshire, a family was murdered, the children (2 young girls) raped, tied to their beds and then set on fire. People here never quite got over it....and now this. The Cheshire crime was heinous but it didn't involve gun violence although it is viewed in the same light as the Newtown massacre. I hope all who read this will take a minute to think about what these unfortunate children (and adults) went through in Newtown and be thankful for the family you have with you.

Back