Ideal Standard products in the UK

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Any member comtemplating a bathroom refit here in the UK, you should all be aware that the guarantee of five years that is offered with Ideal Standard products is in fact totally useless and not worth the paperwork that comes with the product. Basically nearly all ceramic products are all made in the third world these days and the Chrome that is used by Ideal Standard is so totally substandard it is totally laughable. Once they were good in the mid to high end market but these days best find another manufacturer.
Ideal Standard now equals Low Standard

Keith

Any member comtemplating a bathroom refit here in the UK, you should all be aware that the guarantee of five years that is offered with Ideal Standard products is in fact totally useless and not worth the paperwork that comes with the product. Basically nearly all ceramic products are all made in the third world these days and the Chrome that is used by Ideal Standard is so totally substandard it is totally laughable. Once they were good in the mid to high end market but these days best find another manufacturer.
Ideal Standard now equals Low Standard

I thought the name sounded familiar so I rushed(?) into my kitchen and yes, I have an Ideal Boiler.

It's a newish install condensing boiler, and this is it's 3rd year of duty just commencing. I have 5 years free annual service and thus far no problems.

Now you're going to tell me that the boiler division is not the same company as the porcelain division in which case I am a dumbass, but I was bored.

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear you having problems. Most of my bathroom is Ideal Standard, fitted 11 years ago & it is still all fine. I did manage to break the toilet seat once & they sent me a replacement by post, no questions asked.

Not doubting your word though mate, just my experience (& admittedly a few years ago).
All the best, Steve.

Keith

Perhaps they shifted their manufacturing base abroad during that time, and the quality has fallen? I think my boiler is made in the UK (presumably for safety regulation reasons?) and it's quite a nice piece of kit.

It's hard to keep track of domestic stuff, what's good & what's not.

When I was redoing the kitchen I found the same oven with Electrolux, Zanussi & AEG badges. All priced differently ofcourse.

Bosch, Seimens & NEFF are usually the same product behind a different fascia.

I was told by my local shop that some of the Bosch freestanding gear is now made in Poland & is not of the quality you would expect from Bosch.

Regards Steve

Stephen: Bosch, Siemens and Neff whitegoods are all produced by "Siemens Hausgeraten GmbH" and yes they are reducing cost/increasing margens by going to the east...........For "longlife" whitegoods only mark left over here is Miele, but expensive!

Back