A Letter to the House of Reps

Thought you guys would enjoy this letter that was sent to a member of Congress regarding the fiscal cliff.

Dear House

I would like to deliver a message to you that is directed at the entire House of Representatives and it is not a personal message. I think it is an understatement to say that many citizens were more than disappointed with the House’s decision to recess for the holidays on Thursday 12/20. Congress is once again holding our nation hostage as a significant deadline approaches. Your hostages will be working right up until Christmas and even on Christmas. Do you think it is reasonable that members of House could at least work through the weekend considering the current state of affairs? Do you feel your job performance this year merits this holiday break?

In making the decision to run for office and deciding to become a public servant, you must not forget that there are sacrifices to be made. The memories of all the television ads and campaign promises are very fresh in our minds. Were you not sincere when you pledged to do your best for this nation? We can not bring all of our soldiers home from Afghanistan this holiday season because it would be irresponsible. It is just as irresponsible to leave Capitol Hill un-staffed at this time.

As the gap widens between politicians and humans, I feel it is important to remind you of the selflessness that your job requires. You must do what is right for your country at all times. The nature of your position demands that you put the needs of your constituents before the needs of your own family. This is the level of service that we need and any less will only result in failure. If you can not provide this, you must step aside. You must read and understand all proposed legislation. When you vote on this legislation, you will do your best to disregard how that vote will play into your never ending campaign efforts. Most importantly, you do not arrive in Washington DC to take part in a close minded crusade for one far end of the political spectrum. There is a very good chance that your own personal agenda and even faith may be misguided. That is why we have sent so many colleagues to work at your side. Finding common ground with these colleagues will provide the best possible direction even in the most difficult times.

So if you would like to have New Years off as well, I suggest you come to a collective agreement quickly. A functioning government would be such a welcome addition to the holiday festivities.

Happy Holidays!

Pat

Supporter
Can I assume you equally condemn the President's holiday vacation to Hawaii? How about the Senate's failure to pass a budget in the past three years? The President fully expects to fall off the fiscal cliff in order to reap the perceived political advantage in the next mid-terms and have a Democrat Controlled congress in the second half of his final term. I'm sure the country can count on achievements similiar to those of the first half of his term.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I'm sure the country can count on achievements similiar to those of the first half of his term.
Part of a post by Veek

screenshot2012-02-16at7-36-00am.png

Yes, Pat, we can all hope it continues!

Last edited:

Steve

Supporter
So, the current fiscal problems are all Bush's fault but the current upturn in GDP is Obama's credit. Got it......

Can I assume you equally condemn the President's holiday vacation to Hawaii? How about the Senate's failure to pass a budget in the past three years? The President fully expects to fall off the fiscal cliff in order to reap the perceived political advantage in the next mid-terms and have a Democrat Controlled congress in the second half of his final term. I'm sure the country can count on achievements similiar to those of the first half of his term.

Hey Veek, how have you been?

Yes, I don't think anyone should be on vacation until something gets done. Its just a game of chicken right now and thats just foolish. I was watching some of the coverage Thursday night when they were trying to get support for Boehner's Plan B. That did not go well and 2 minutes later Eric Cantor announces that everyone is heading home for Christmas. C'mon its only Thursday and Christmas is on Tuesday. We pay the Reps and Senators about $170,000 a year. I am sure this is just a drop in the bucket for some, but I think its way too much. They vote on their own salaries, they make their own hours, and they constantly underperform.

Back