A soothing glass of liquid anaesthetic

Mike Pass

Supporter
In the hope of diverting the paddock from it's downward spiral of tit for tat dross and political tedium may I suggest everyone put up some new threads which may reintroduce topics to augment our interest in the finer things in life such as our GT40s etc. Well here is my attempt to emulate King Canute and hold back the tide.
May we begin by tuning off the TV and radio, putting the papers in the bin where they belong and installing ourselves in a comfortable armchair. Next to the chair install a small table, something good to read and a glass of your favourite bottled anaesthetic and let the flavour wash across your tongue and warm all the way down your throat. All of which leads me to my question.....

What are your top 10 favourite sipping liquors.

My 2c list (or this weeks winners) ....
1 Sloe vodka
2 Drambuie
3 Grand Marnier
4 Polish Cherry Vodka
5 Polish Raspberry Vodka
6 Strega
7 Limoncello
8 Pineau de Charentes
9 Hennessey Brandy
10 Bailey's

I now await your suggestions and look forward to checking to see if I concur with your choices.

Cheers
Mike

Pat

Supporter
Easy top 5 but it reflects my upbringing along the lower Mississippi River:

Maker's Mark (Maker's 46)
Southern Comfort
Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit
Bushmills Malt 16
Crown Royal Reserve

As for the next five, it get a little more difficult.

Jose Cuervo's Platino Reserva de la Familia, Platino Blanco Tequila (Really!)
1738 Accord Royal Cognac by Remy Martin
B&B” Brandy & Benedictine (after dinner)

And there there are beers:

Radeberger Pilsner
Paulaner Salvator Bier

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Abbot Ale ( check this beer out , i guess Wiki might have a listing, 900 years old ) Guaranteed to bring the fight out in you, lol
Banana Beer
Rioja, but a good one, not supermarket squit.
Barolo. pre 1995.
Paracetamol 500 ml and a good single malt, preferably 'peaty'.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I have developed a taste for Patron XOXO coffee flavored tequila liquer!
Liquers have always been my favorites, some faves include:
Hiram Walker's Amaretto & Cognac mixture (can't find it in TX anymore)
Benedictine and Brandy
Grand Marineir
Drambui

I also make homemade country wines (made from fruits other than grapes). Some of my favorites have been:
Choke Cherry wine (Kansas Choke Cherries)
Crab Apple Wine (again, Kansas fruits)
Mulberry Wine (again....KS fruits rule!)
Wild Sandhill Plum Wine (fruits from KS and OK)
Sparkling Wheat Wine (KS hard red winter wheat)
Prickly Pear Wine (TX Prickly Pears)

From Mexico, I like Coconut liquer and Banana liquer....

Oh, yeah...forgot this one....I HATE snow, but when I lived in KS it was a common occurance. I tried everything I could think of to make it a pleasant experience, but this was the only way I could enjoy the snow. When a snowstorm came along I would drag out the Adirondac lawn chair and put on a snowmobile suit. Then I would sit outside in the yard as the snow fell and drink hot Cinnamon Schnappes. Now, THAT was a way I could enjoy a snowstorm (until the next day when I had to shovel the 2 feet of snow from 150 yards of driveway just to be able to go to work....ughhhh!)

BTW...the sparkling wheat wine tastes just like Sugar Pops cereal, but has a 17% alcohol kick and is effervescent like champagne :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Doug

Last edited:
Mike - I was trying to determine which was my favorite but passed out before I could conclude the tests.
Seriously, back in the days when I imbibed, only had a few real favorites:
!986 Cabernet Sauvignon, Robert Mondavi -(have one bottle left)
Dinkel Acker (dark) or Prior Double Dark if anyone can now find it hidden away in some forgotten place.
Sam Adams Octoberfest, or Winter Lager
Jack (green)

Last edited:
Mike, great subject and her'e my 7 Quid's worth (that's inflation for you)
Lagavulin Highland single malt
Southern comfort.
Cointreau
Brandy, a good one but no particular preference
Rum, the dark version again no particular preference
Kahlua - generally in coffee, mmmmmmmm
Rioja - one of the better ones, again no particulay favourite
Cabernet Sauvignon
Codornui Grand reserve
Leffe belgium beer.

Here are my picks, but I like to think that I am still in "training" so my list is incomplete and needs further research :)
No particular order*:
1. Homemade Lemoncello given to me by a lady in Capri while on vacation a couple years ago
2. Level Vodka
3. Herradura Suprema Selecion Extra Anejo-this was the greatest tequila I have ever tasted. At nearly $300/bottle it should be though!
4. More of an Irish Whiskey guy than Scotch. Need more training...
5. Love a good Cab Sav, Chianti and Pinot Noir'
6. Grand Marnier
7. Bullet Bourbon

*Most of my liquor consumption is in a nice cocktail with my current favorites being the Old Fashioned, Negroni, and Vodka Tonic

Doc Todd,

Best commercial Tequila Anejo: Real
Best Tequila: Don Malaquias (decedent of Jose Cuervo, owns a Tequilaria in San Jose Del Cabo. Pulled down a dusty bottle of his reserve Anejo from the top shelf @close to $400 for the bottle......but WORTH IT!)
Other Honorable Mentions: Centenario, Porfidio, El Agave Artesenal

For light refreshing beverage: Michelada con Pacifico :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 484407_3491932819238_2079891673_n.jpg
    484407_3491932819238_2079891673_n.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 192

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Doc Todd,

Best Tequila: Don Malaquias (decedent of Jose Cuervo, owns a Tequilaria in San Jose Del Cabo. Pulled down a dusty bottle of his reserve Anejo from the top shelf @close to $400 for the bottle......but WORTH IT!)

For Tequila, try a brand by the name "Canicas"...means "marbles" and there are three colored glass globes "welded" to the bottom of the hand-blown bottle. Our Spec's liquor franchise can get only one case a month and if you don't get there within an hour it's all gone. I have had the good fortune to get one bottle of blanco...it was smoother than the finest anejo I have ever drank, and I've drank a lot of anejo! I can't imagine how smooth their reposado or their anejo might be, but they do make both :drunk:

Porfidio...wish I had been buying it when it was available. The only place you can get it now is on eVilBay....$100/bottle with or without the contents. I have one single-shot bottle, includes the little blown glass cactus with flowers on the tips of the arms inside.

One of the things I collect is liquor bottles with structures inside them. Most of them are tequila bottles, but a company (I can't remember the name right now, think it was "Deep Sea") did make bottles with blown glass fishes inside...a parrot fish in vodka, a sailfish in rum, one more I can't recall.

Cheers!!

Doug

Doc Todd,

For Tequila, try a brand by the name "Canicas"...means "marbles" and there are three colored glass globes "welded" to the bottom of the hand-blown bottle. Our Spec's liquor franchise can get only one case a month and if you don't get there within an hour it's all gone. I have had the good fortune to get one bottle of blanco...it was smoother than the finest anejo I have ever drank, and I've drank a lot of anejo! I can't imagine how smooth their reposado or their anejo might be, but they do make both :drunk:

Porfidio...wish I had been buying it when it was available. The only place you can get it now is on eVilBay....$100/bottle with or without the contents. I have one single-shot bottle, includes the little blown glass cactus with flowers on the tips of the arms inside.

One of the things I collect is liquor bottles with structures inside them. Most of them are tequila bottles, but a company (I can't remember the name right now, think it was "Deep Sea") did make bottles with blown glass fishes inside...a parrot fish in vodka, a sailfish in rum, one more I can't recall.

Cheers!!

Doug

I will see if I can find some of these tequilas next time I head to the liquor store. Unfortunately, our selection is usually not too great and the ability to order something not on the list is very difficult.

Not Mortons favorite drink. I repeat not his fav..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-JkkcPsYOQ&NR=1]The Green Fairy - YouTube[/ame]

Mike Pass

Supporter
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder. Love the stuff but getting hold of the real undiluted thing is difficult these days.

Cheers
Mike

Back