what makes this happen?

A friend sent me this. What makes this happen?

A St. Joseph Island mystery

The water supercools - it drops below freezing. And, since the water is often very pure, crystal formation does not start, because there aren't any/enough impurities in the water to allow the ice to form (the molecules actually need to coalesce around impurities like dust particles) and the plastic of the bottle is realtively smooth (if it wasn't, then the molecules could coalesce around the bottle surface irregularities). Shaking the bottle initiates the crystal formation, which then causes the chain reaction that leads to complete solidification of the ice. In the process, the water actually will heat up to the freezing point.

Ian

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Ian,

Thats great, thanks.

I have heard that this works as well on the HOT side. If you get a very clean cup and put pure water in it, then microwave it for several minutes..................

Without impurities like dust particles for the water to coalesce around it will not boil.

But put a tea bag, some sugar or even a spoon in it and it will explode into a boil!

Please be very very careful if you try this, as boiling water can erupt all over.

Last edited:
Ian,

Thats great, thanks.

I have heard that this works as well on the HOT side. If you get a very clean cup and put pure water in it, then microwave it for several minutes..................

Without impurities like dust particles for the water to coalesce around it will not boil.

But put a tea bag, some sugar or even a spoon in it and it will explode into a boil!

Please be very very careful if you try this, as boiling water can erupt all over.

I take it you use a plastic spoon, the metal kind might give you an expensive light show!

My wife put a couple boiled eggs in the microwave wrapped in paper towel. As the microwave was running I said you cannot put eggs in the Microwave they will explode. She said no they will not I took off the shells. The bell dings she takes the eggs out sets them on the counter begins to unwrap them. I start to think guess I am wrong! Boom !!two eggs all over the kitchen. The look on her face priceless. Thankfully she did not get burned

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I take it you use a plastic spoon, the metal kind might give you an expensive light show!

Jac,

No, this is after you take it out of the microwave, if you are careful, it will just sit on the counter until you put something in it, then.....lookout!

Ian,

Thats great, thanks.

The same will happen with the supercooled water - drop some sugar in it, a spoon (tea bag may not work), and the freezing process will begin.

I have a small arsenal of some of these tricks at my disposal - that's what you get when you combine a strong science education and tending bar :) Like how to get a quarter out of a plate of water without spilling the water, or getting whatever you use to grab the quarter wet, using common items found at a bar.

Ian

Back