Fiero Rebuild

I know we've had problems on the forum with enthusiastic Fiero owners, but hopefully, you'll forgive me for posting a link to this article.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/10/24/tech/girl-builds-fiero/index.html?hpt=te_t1

A girl, the Internet, and her Pontiac Fiero

Dearborn, Michigan (CNN) -- A couple years ago, Jerry DiMaria signed up for an online forum and started a new thread: "A few months ago," he wrote, "our 12 year old DAUGHTER came in and said, 'Dad, Mom, can we talk for a minute?'"

Kathryn had a proposition for them: She wanted to build a car, a Pontiac Fiero.

They live in Michigan. Her dad is a Corvette guy, and the Fiero wasn't produced in her lifetime, but she'd seen the little sports car at an auto show, and knew it was the one for her. She could buy it with her babysitting money, she said. She'd have four years to restore it, to learn how to budget and build -- and drive -- before she was 16. It'd get good gas mileage. They'd never fear a breakdown or a crooked mechanic. She'd do it all herself.

[...]

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
She should also look at the auto restoration BS program at McPherson college, in KS. Their graduates get a great education and terrific jobs in the industry. I read most of the thread. That kind of determination and focus is admirable- but not that unusual. I am always amazed at what teenage folks can do when they put their mind to something, and she clearly has done that.

Thats really cool , I wish my kids would get interested in working on cars . I have plenty of projects going on , a Fiero/GT40 build , a'68 Cutlass I'm restoring , maintenance on my and everybody else's cars , and my daughter will come to see and ask questions , but my son only wants to go for a ride when its done .

Back