Best drivers in the world.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I have driven in, Italy France, Australia, Singapore, Ireland, America and England.
IMHO the best most polite and safest drivers are the English. On the expressway we were doing 90 m.p.h. And people were passing us like we were standing still.
Di was driving, or no one would have passed us which is why Di drives when we are together. We later found out the maximum speed in Cornwall is 50 m.p.h. Unless someone was b.shiting me.
I digress, they stay in the left lane when not overtaking. In the narrow lanes they are very polite and wait and give way. They don't tailgate you even when MRS. Magoo is doing 40 in a 50 zone "because it's safe". In the left lane mind you.
Well done Brits, best drivers in the world. In OZ, people drive in the fast lane at 20 mph below the speed limit, tailgate you, run red lights, ignore give way signs and pass on the left,
And generally don't give a shit about anyone else.
Thank you for making driving in England a pleasure.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
+1 to that Pete. I don't know what it is about the drivers down under, but driving in the UK and Europe is a real pleasure compared to Oz and NZ.

It is certainly nice to hear a visitor's impressions of driving on our roads.

I always think most drivers here are discourteous, drive painfully slow on motorways, in the middle lane, with their fog lights on, when it is raining (THEY ARE NOT RAIN LIGHTS PEOPLE), tailgate each other and generally drive like morons.

Clearly we may not have it so bad afterall!? I pity you other guys where it sounds like its even worse!

The worst place I have experienced for driving, is Italy. Those people are just plain crazy.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Pete, its strange that you should come to exactly the same conclusion about British (& Scottish) drivers as we did during our trip to Goodwood in 2008 !! The "keep in the left lane unless overtaking" thing was automatic, & courtesy was the norm during our treck from Scotland down to Goodwood & surrounds.

Enjoy the Revival (like there's an option) !!!

Kind Regards,

Peter Delaney

Keith

Well, that's interesting to say the least. To be honest it says more about Australia perhaps than it does about the UK. I suppose in the main it's kind of OK here but blood pressure can rise!

It does depend where you are for sure:)

About the speed limit in Cornwall, isn't the A30 dual carriageway from Launceston towards Penzance 70 mph most of the way?

I used to run a night-club in Penzance. Fantastic place although I've not been back there for 30 years - and oh golly - the Grockles!!

In my day, it was perfectly true that there was only ONE set of traffic lights in the whole of Cornwall and Cornish hedges are VERY VERY hard.. hitting a hedge instead of an oncoming car or tractor is NOT an option :)

(Granite blocks under all the greenery)

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Seen any pirates in your palmy youth, Keith?

Have you ever thought about what it would be like to be an orphan?

Oh, often.........

American drivers HAVE to be worse than OZ or NZ. Including me. I am frankly a lousy driver. I have no idea why I have all these fast cars, I certainly don't deserve them.

I learned to drive with the British School of Motoring and will never forget paying a quid a lesson! But, they did teach being courteous as I recall. Because I've lived in both country's for long periods (my mate actually refers to me as a "hybrid" now) I can tell you a recent trip back to England showed me that not only do I agree with the above comments but I will also say the British are pretty skillful compared to many (not all) of their american counterparts. Knowing how to navigate a roundabout for instance and knowing when to stay out of the fast lane being two examples.

However, I will say while driving the A406 North Circular many years ago I recall having one hand on the wheel and the other hand sticking out the window giving what we use to call the ol Harvey Smith! That road was brutal.

Thanks to all our visitors for the observations & kind words! The statistics for accidents / deaths in the UK are pretty damn low when you consider how crowded most of our roads are, which would seem to tally with comments above. I find the lack of courtesy & consideration to other road uses noticeable when I drive in France and Germany.
Everyone over on holiday, visiting Goodwood etc., hope you have a great time.
Regards Steve

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
The motorway and highway police in the U.K. Have been reduced to approximately 3,500 and that includes the highlands. You will never see a policecar parked in the small 'police only' laybys on the motorway any more. Plenty of plods (derogatory name for police) available to run the cash cows (vosa Number plate recognition [ANPR]) and the two motorcycle and high speed car associated with the ANPR traps and this is usually set up on main arterial roads and always on a nice day. There has been talk of the Hobby Bobbys
operating the ANPR s - they do it as a hobby and unpaid ( which says a lot for the mentality).
Generally, the driving in the areas not known as Greater London, Birmingham, and Greater Manchester is of a reasonable standard with plenty of give and take, filtering in turn ( because of all the roadworks repairing potholes) and 'after you'. In town its abominable with
Some of the worst driving by young coloured guys in high powered M beemers and qataris in brightly coloured lambos. I actally saw what I think was a woman in the total black dress including a veil -known in London and Abbu Dabbi as 'black sacks' weaving all over the motorway (m40) about a week ago and then as a funny addition, in Kensington another who was lifting her face mask up as far as her nose to have a cigarrette.
The one on the motorway probably didn't have a licence or insurance - and most of the qataris certainly dont have either.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Ps. We caught up with the one with the total black veil when we exited for the area we live and she was waiting at the lights. 5 lanes and when the lights changed she went from the fast lane( lane 5 extreme right) and crossed over in front of everyone and turned left.
What............!!!

I can only agree to most of the above said.

Last January I was given a lesson in masterful English driving when Dave and his lovely daughter Helen piloted my black nightfighter HE 219 (O.K....just my Beemer´s numberplate) through the nighttraffic around London only to remark that operating this gizmo-loaded thing is more complicated than a 747. What fun.

David,

Clearly a that was a "non dom"....... no tax, no fines, not care a f.....owes nohing to any one. See your MP if you care....

quote by Pete
Well done Brits, best drivers in the world. In OZ, people drive in the fast lane at 20 mph below the speed limit, tailgate you, run red lights, ignore give way signs and pass on the left,
And generally don't give a shit about anyone else.

You are correct Pete, most ozi drivers are inconsiderate.
My wife is the worst tailgater,I hate it, just not necessary.
Last time I went for a drive with her I came close to saying something but I decided it was better to die than bring it up.

Jim

Last edited:

Mike Pass

Supporter
I am very pleased that you approve of my driving on this sceptered isle. Also strange because most people say I drive like a maniac.
Cheers
Mike

Keith

I am very pleased that you approve of my driving on this sceptered isle. Also strange because most people say I drive like a maniac.
Cheers
Mike

But clearly not as maniacal as the Australians or Americans.

You must go back to The International School for Driving Maniacs (also known as the Red Mist Brigade) for another course...

Please try to do better next term.....:thumbsdown:

Mike Pass

Supporter
Wilco! Over and out.
Cheers
Mike

PS What a relief........ A thread without politics..........unless you know better....?

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...most people say I drive like a maniac.
Cheers
Mike

My brother! :thumbsup:

The same has been claimed about me on more than one occasion. Why? Among other reasons, because (1) when the light turns green - I'm gone... I don't sit at a light holding up traffic by pretending to be fiddling with papers (or whatever) on the passenger seat. (2) When I pull out to pass - I pass. It IS, after all, the p-a-s-s-I-n-g lane - NOT the 'pacing' lane. (I've never been able to understand the mentality of people who insist on PITCHING CAMP in the passing lane and PACING the guy in the next lane...especially if he's doing 10-15 mph 'under'.:furious:) And, (3) I'm rarely seen driving UNDER the 'limit....and if I am, it's for a darned good reason. IOW, no one has ever seen traffic stacked up like cordwood behind me. 'Tis my goal that no one ever does.

Yeeeeeeeup - I'm Dillinger x 100. :shocked: No question...

Back