Schumacher in coma

Keith

There was a bulletin at 1100 Zulu and the news had not changed. I believe this is not Good News for Michael.

I sincerely hope he does pull through this.

Interestingly, and quite against the normal routine, he was wearing a crash helmet. Many, in fact the majority of skiers, do not. I believe he was on a so-called 'black run' and collided with a rock.

My bet is that as a result, ski helmet sales will now go sky high.

Keith

There was one glimmer, which, in the world of neurosurgery, I understand is 'good news' and that is that his surgeons say he will not require a further operation, after denying that they had carried one out during the night.

Make of that what you will.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
He may be in an induced coma. There are a few things that neurosurgeons can do to reduce pressure on the brain; hyperventilate the patient to reduce CO2 and brain swelling, surgically remove expanding areas of bleeding, unroof the skull to provide room for the injured brain to swell so it does not compress itself inside the skull (Gabrielle Giffords had this operation and it probably saved her life; but penetrating trauma such as a gunshot wound is not the same neurosurgically as blunt trauma such as Schumacher has sustained). There are some drugs that may be helpful. Also sometimes patients may be heavily sedated to both permit the patient to stay on the ventilator and also to reduce the brain's need for oxygen; frequently this was done with barbiturates. I don't know what they use now. He will get excellent medical care. I hope he survives his injury and is restored to his former vigorous self. Surviving it does not guarantee a return to full or even partial function,and it is unlikely that the final outcome will be known quickly- unless it is that he dies. Which we all hope he does not.

Steve

Supporter
Shades of Miranda Richardson's injury. Very scary. Fortunately, as Jim pointed out, there are significant advances in how to treat blunt cranial trauma and increasing pressures. Probably the only truly good thing to come out of war are these advances. There was a news anchor for ABC that sustained such an injury from a roadside bomb and recovered remarkably after surgery to unroof the skull. 15 years ago he would have never recovered much. Hope Schumacher's is not as severe for sure.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I agree. The operations to remove part of the cranium and decompress the brain are fairly new- technically very complex, but they have already saved lives. He is a tough man in top shape and not old at all. I hope he gets through this and back to his life.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Crap. Will the media EVER get things right????????

What happened to the old 'journalistic rule' that 3 seperate sources are needed to verify any given event/fact???

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Well I'm confused, ABC on line reported yesterday that doctors treating MSc denied he had a second operation. Nine hours ago ABC reported he had a second operation and his condition had improved.
Several other agency's have reported a second operation, so I guess he has.:shrug:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Well I'm confused, ABC on line reported yesterday that doctors treating MSc denied he had a second operation. Nine hours ago ABC reported he had a second operation and his condition had improved.
Several other agency's have reported a second operation, so I guess he has.:shrug:

I dunno. Here's the report I referenced:

Surgeon says former F1 champ Schumacher improving after second surgery | Fox News

(SAVE IT regarding comments on the source, Jim, et al. I'm really tired of that kinda crap.)

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Leading with your chin there Larry lol, early reports from the hospital of a second operation were false but since then the surgeon has stated a second operation has taken place to remove a bleed on the left side of Michaels brain. So I guess the latest report is correct.
I also read while researching it, that a journalist dressed as a priest tried to get close to MSc.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I'm disgusted that someone tried to sneak in there. It's a disgrace, plain and simple, and they ought to throw the man in jail. What a jackass.

hi Pete yeh we saw the news as well, the man needs a miracle, even if he comes out of it what state will he be in, not a good prognosis at all poor bugger
john

Back