Oh yes... It's good to be bad!

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Is there some kind of 500 horsepower "tax barrier" in Britain that Jag doesn't want to exceed?

It seems every production car they build these days always has a max of around 495 h.p. available, seldom over 500. This new F-type, for instance, has an optional supercharged, 496 h.p., 450 torque, 5.0-liter V-8 in it (according to the spec sheet I Googled).

'Just curious.

Regardless, their new coupe is nothing short of stunning.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
The F Type Coupe R has 550 hp.

Aston Martins have been north of 500 hp for a while.

Quite true, but, I was referring to Jags in general, Jeff.

(Jag has a "wagon" with something like 547 h.p. available these days as I recall.)

I borrowed a Cayman S a few weeks ago, but more recently, an F-Type S for a week.

The Jag is Soooooo good. Seriously, epic fun. The first car I have ever driven, where I wouldn't bother buying the big engined version. I actually came away thinking, why bother? The V6 supercharged motor is fantastic and the exhaust note is beyond anything I have ever heard before. Sounds like an F1 car. Women and children run away screaming for shelter, when you drive by on song! Such a beautiful car too.

The Cayman was typically Porsche and great fun, but no match from a fun perspective.

I borrowed a Cayman S a few weeks ago, but more recently, an F-Type S for a week.

The Jag is Soooooo good. Seriously, epic fun. The first car I have ever driven, where I wouldn't bother buying the big engined version. I actually came away thinking, why bother? The V6 supercharged motor is fantastic and the exhaust note is beyond anything I have ever heard before. Sounds like an F1 car. Women and children run away screaming for shelter, when you drive by on song! Such a beautiful car too.

Mark,

For what it is worth that appears to be the general conscious among the motoring journalists.

Must admit it is the first modern car I have ever done a U turn just to go and have a closer look at it in the Jaguar dealership.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Must admit it is the first modern car I have ever done a U turn just to go and have a closer look at...

Reading that, I couldn't help but "flash back" to the time a guy screeched to a stop and U-turned back to the restaurant parking lot where my Ford GT was parked. It really astonished me! The guy came into the 'lot practically on two wheels, stopped, got out of his car and walked around the GT 3 or 4 times shaking his head in full approval...'got back in his car and drove on down the road! Darnedest thing I ever saw...well, that is except for the entire restaurant staff abandoning their duties and descending on the car to take 'cell' photos, that is! ('True story, I swear to God.)

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Larry that reminds me of a funny (to me) thing that happened to my wife and I many years ago. I had retired my Corvette from competition and cleaned it all up, added back in the interior and had a new paint job put on it. She was following me home from the body shop. She had gotten just a little ways behind me while I was driving down a fairly busy city street on Saturday morning. I had driven past a group of people and they walked right out in the street blocking the road so they could continue watching as I motored away... She had to toot the horn to get their attention and drive through along with a few other vehicles behind her.. The car still had a full-on race prepped 355 and sounded pretty nice even with the full quad exhaust..

Thumper_at_Lake.jpg

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
The spookiest thing that happened with the GT was the time a guy did a full "360" around the car taking cell photos on the freeway (six lane)...in traffic...doing 70/75 mph.

By that I mean he pulled up beside me on the driver's side of my car...snapped a photo thru his now open passenger window...'pulled over in front of me, stuck the phone out his driver's window and snapped an 'over-the-shoulder' photo of the front of the GT (how he knew just where the 'camera' was aimed I'll be darned if I know)...'changed lanes again so he could snap a photo of the passenger side of the GT...and finally, he changed lanes again to pull in behind me to snap another shot there. He then pulled out around me, waved, gave a 'thumbs up', and with a hearty "Hi-oh, Sliver" (I made that last part up!) he went off down the road.

He came aaaaaaaawfully close to the GT a couple times while doing his 'drive-and-shoot' thing.

'Can't tell you how many times someone stepped out into the street to take a photo as the car passed...or someone's passenger leaned out of a car at a stop light (or where ever) to take a pic. Somewhere on the net there hasta be a vid or two of the GT going down the road. I know there were some taken.

Back