Buy American.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
A few summers ago, I needed a new lawn mower. It took darned near forever, but I finally found one that was made in the USA; "Troy-Bilt" ('not misspelled).

I defy ANYBODY to find a T.V. set that's made in the U.S. Shoot, even when you buy a U.S. "Big 3" car many of the parts IN it are made elsewhere. And ONE of the "Big 3" isn't even U.S.-owned anymore!

My point is there's darned little that's made here anymore...except for hamburgers.

Would you like fries with that?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Top U.S. manufacturers returning jobs back to states from China

By Lou Kilzer

Published: Saturday, Jan. 4, 2014, 9:00 p.m.

American corporations that off-shored manufacturing to China for two decades are bringing jobs home.
A decade ago, jobs were on a nearly one-way street to the People's Republic. In 2003, when 150,000 manufacturing jobs went to China, 2,000 came this way, says Harry Moser, head of the Reshoring Initiative, a nonprofit group that tracks U.S.-China job flows.
Today “it's a wash,” Moser told the Tribune-Review. Last year, 30,000 to 50,000 jobs left the United States for China, but 30,000 to 40,000 left China for the United States, according to an analysis of hiring by Apple, Motorola, General Electric, Ford and more than 140 other American-based companies.

A survey by Boston Consulting Group showed this trend is poised to accelerate. More than 50 percent of $1 billion-plus U.S. companies with operations in China are considering bringing all or part of their production to American shores, the consulting group reports.
Twenty-one percent told surveyors that they are doing so or plan to do so within two years. The 2013 figure is double that of 2012, the group noted.

Jerry Jasinowski, former president of the National Association of Manufacturers, cites as reasons: high Chinese energy prices, escalating wages, land prices, lack of protection for intellectual property, and air pollution.

It's difficult to recruit managers willing to relocate families to Shanghai or another city where pollution levels are considered a serious health threat, he said.

Greg Hall, a senior vice president of Wal-Mart, told Site Selection magazine that the economics of manufacturing are changing rapidly: “In previous decades, investment mainly went to Asia where wages were low. The price of oil was low. ... (Today) labor costs in Asia are rising. Oil and transportation costs are high and increasingly uncertain.”
Wal-Mart plans to shift at least $50 billion in manufacturing to the United States.

We export more Japanese cars than Japan.
Apple is bringing its manufacturing back to the USA
Airbus is setting up production of airliners in the USA......

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
It is now a world market.......

“You wouldn’t be shocked to find out that 6 of the 10 best-selling vehicles in the country are from foreign automakers,” says KBB.com in an introduction to an online article on the subject. “But you might be surprised to learn that all 10 are made in America, as German, Japanese and Korean automakers continue to build more vehicles here.”
Acura, BMW, Honda, Hyundai, Infiniti, Mercedes-Benz, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota and Volkswagen all built in the USA.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I don't know who to believe. My Toyota truck was made in America, in a plant that GM and Toyota shared. Regrettably closed, I am sorry to say.

It depends on your definition of made in the USA. Has the truck been assembled with all american parts that were manufactured on home soil with American labour, machines and raw materials. I doubt it , most of the motors on the road are badge engineered with parts made all over the world and merely assembled from flat packs from the east.

Bob

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I think the engine was made in Japan, but I am not sure. I remember that I did a little searching and found that it could be called "made in America" if a certain percentage of it was made here. It was over that. I don't know why their joint venture factory was closed, but the quality of their trucks is excellent. I think they also build them in TX, Tundras, I think. And frankly it doesn't bother me to buy stuff made in Japan. It DOES bother me to buy stuff made in China, and I try not to, but it ain't easy.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Do those foreign car firms get Government subsidies?

Most do. In particular, the states in teh souther part of the US which have traditionally lacked industry and high paying factory jobs would offer tax incentives (not cash, but just tax breaks) for locating to their states.

Again, rarely is it a cash hand out, but it is hard to argue that a tax break is really anything but a cash hand out.

In fact, states of times get into bidding wars over these plants. Alabama and North Carolina and South Carolina all bid hard and heave on BMW (went to SC) and Mercedes (went to Alabama).

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I agree. I think unions served a very useful function a long time ago. I think they still serve a useful function for certain types of workers that routinely get exploited by their employers. But I think they went completely crazy with the auto manufacturers (and others) and ended up exploiting their members AND the car companies as well. I think the unions had a lot to do with the demise of GM, for example.

Charles Dickens said a century ago that the first rule of any bureaucracy is to maximize its own existence, or something like that. I think he was right, and the situation has not changed much if at all. Unions are as guilty as any other bureaucracy in that sense.

Workers would have never been exploited and unions would have never been formed if past governments ( world wide ) had stepped up to the job and legislated. Typical case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted , piss poor monitoring of critical issues that were only addressed when the rot had set in. They had fifty years to get this problem under control , obviously not long enough.

Bob

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
But they didn't, did they? And once unions were in the door at GM et al, look what happened. At least at GM, they ended up bankrupting the company. Do their former members and GM workers even have pensions now? I wonder.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Unions among other economic factors have seen the demise of Ford, GMH, Volkswagen, Toyota and now probably Qantas in Australia .

Back