Space exploration WTF

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi all

What a lot of people don't realise is that from programs like the space race and also from motor racing a lot of flow on of technology into everyday things we use are developed.

Making and designing better, lighter, more efficient components, lighter and stronger materials are the result.

Dimi

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
What a lot of people don't realise is that from programs like the space race and also from motor racing a lot of flow on of technology into everyday things we use are developed.

Edison wasn't a participant in/benefactor of a space program.

My point being the things we have gotten from the space program/auto racing could also have been created w/o them…and for centuries they have been.

And, yes, I'm aware that there are many "Ya, buts" that could follow that statement...:D

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Ya But Larry, tell us how gps, my satellite internet connection and satellite tv would work without the "space program"?

How many Taliban leaders would still be breathing without satellite recon?

Larry,

The space program has paid for its self over and over and will continue for ever!

The same argument could be made for many many Government programs.

Would we be better off without waisting all that money on.......

The intercontinental railroad

The Interstate Highway system

The Panma Canal

Jet aircraft

Computers

Polio vaccine

Education

It goes on and on............

We could remain a third world country and your taxes would be much less.....

You might be happier, but you would be in a small minority.

Last edited:

Pat

Supporter
I'm quite biased on this as Central Florida is a hub for a lot of the NASA tech companies, especially robotics. In my opinion NASA has had a return on investment that is perhaps second only to the post WW2 G.I. Bill.
NASA holds over 6,300 patents including those supporting technologies to include the St. Jude Medical's Cardiac Rhythm Management System, which incorporates Apollo technology into the development of the programmable pacemaker system. There's also cordless tools, laser vision products—enhanced by the telescope innovations—to measure a patient’s eye and create a map for treatment and of course my favorite orange drink, TANG. ;)
Seriously, our ICBM missile capability is directly linked to NASA technology as are advances in micro circuitry.
NASA is required to report on its spinoff technology annually. Have a look yourself. There is some pretty surprising stuff in there.
NASA Spinoff Homepage

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Clashing of cymbals and beating of drums.........I agree with Jim. NASA and the space race have more than paid their way IMHO.
Could the money have been better spent elsewhere ? Dunno.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Ok, but why do eggs stick to my non - stick pan ?
" Non stick ", meant to have been a spin off...
and i wish the eggs would...
:veryangry:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Plus, they did not send the money into space, it was all spent right here, it went to thousands of contractors, who paid millions of folks who then paid taxes.......rinse and repeat!

marc

Lifetime Supporter
I do wish NASA was still sending people to the moon. I have a few suggestions...
Pelosi, Reid, Shumer, BHO, Beohner, would fill my first flight.
Sebelis, Lerner, Holder, and DA from the Border Patrol Fiasco a little bit ago.

I know I know I want them to stay there.

Back