We're not going to take this anymore.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Well I ride horses so have no sympathy for atv riders or trail bikes either..... Unless I've swapped my horse for a trail bike..
No reason we all couldn't ride together, but the ATV riders and trail bikers seem to delight in spooking the crap out of the horse. As always if everyone had respect for each other we could all enjoy the parks.

Keith

Its a big issue here too Pete.. Too many conflicting activities and every one of them with the moral high ground.

Much of it has to do with increased personal wealth and leisure time.

But it seems that empathy has gone on vacation around here......

Unfortunate that the emphasis has gone to the mode of travel rather than the closing off of public land (who is the public?) . America is so huge, there is room for everyone and every diversion (I know some may want to turn that statement into a gay rights screed), but the government is shutting it all down. Here come the environmentalists, few sure, Dude.

Keith

One of the mysteries I encountered during my six years in the vast echoing wastelands of Alabama, was that a common complaint from the 'natives' was that somebody owned every last bit of it...i.e. someone had a title to every last parcel of land in the entire state, probably the same for the other 51!

In England (50,000 sq miles, pop 53 million) you could expect that, but Alabama (52,420 sq miles, pop 4.82 million) it came as a bit of a shock to me that as soon as you got out of your car in a wild lonely place and stepped off the highway - you were trespassing..

(there's a joke there but you've got to look for it, otherwise I'm just another dumb foreigner)

America is so huge, there is room for everyone and every diversion (I know some may want to turn that statement into a gay rights screed), but the government is shutting it all down. Here come the environmentalists, few sure, Dude.

From the same article don't know if its true, if it is I'm not sure what they are breaking the law for.

The BLM says that more than 2,800 miles of trails are open to ATVs on public lands within a short drive of Blanding.

Keith

From the same article don't know if its true, if it is I'm not sure what they are breaking the law for.

The BLM says that more than 2,800 miles of trails are open to ATVs on public lands within a short drive of Blanding.

That's bigger than Croydon and Scunthorpe :stunned:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
The green tree huggers want to restrict parks to bush walkers only. ATV's Dirt Bikes and horses all denude the forest and cause erosion according to them. It has happened in Oz quite a bit.

We have green lanes in this country which are normally dirt or gravel tracks running through private woodlands and common land , these are a sort of ancient right of way for pedestrians , horses and vehicles. In the main these are used by responsible people who treat others with respect . The problems start when the hooligan element joins in with 4x4 racers , quads and trail bikes, they have scant regard for dog walkers,kids , horse riders and the authorities , they also deviate off the tracks tearing up other footpaths and roads , I know a few woodland managers that spend fortunes fencing and blocking off these unauthorised routes in a bid to stop wildlife being disturbed and the places being torn up. This is the flip side of allowing the public access to sensitive areas .

Bob

True, but like every other aspect of big government bureaucracy, they take away from the law abiding and the scofflaws keep going on their merry way.

We have green lanes in this country which are normally dirt or gravel tracks running through private woodlands and common land , these are a sort of ancient right of way for pedestrians , horses and vehicles. In the main these are used by responsible people who treat others with respect . The problems start when the hooligan element joins in with 4x4 racers , quads and trail bikes, they have scant regard for dog walkers,kids , horse riders and the authorities , they also deviate off the tracks tearing up other footpaths and roads , I know a few woodland managers that spend fortunes fencing and blocking off these unauthorised routes in a bid to stop wildlife being disturbed and the places being torn up. This is the flip side of allowing the public access to sensitive areas .

Bob

Back