Solar roads?

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
My guess is each of those 'panels' (those that can support the weight of vehicles/planes at least) will run, what, $1,500 a piece - at LEAST?

Roads made with these things would cost us all GADZILLIONS. You can BET on it. And God only knows what their reliability would be or what the maintenance/repairs/upkeep costs would run on top of that.

(Edit) Don't get me wrong - I like the IDEA and support the IDEA 100%...but NOT to the point of paying ANY PRICE the makers demand.)

Last edited:
Great idea, and like anything else, the more panels they make the less expensive they are. There is still going to be a reinforced base under the panels to support load.

They are all pressure sensors, so you are also going to have opportunistic bureaucrats turning the whole network into a metre by metre speed trap.

Tim.

Not only will the additional revenue help pay for more solar roads, the roads will power all the extra cameras they will be using... A perfect system...

Tim.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
There is still going to be a reinforced base under the panels to support load.

True, Al, but the panels themselves would still have to be 'skookum' enough on their own to handle the weight that will roll over them, would they not?

Lemme illustrate: Let's just say for argument's sake that the panels are made out of balsa wood and they've been laid down over a bed of reinforced concrete (or blacktop - whatever). What would happen to the balsa wood panels when the 1st semi rolled over 'em? :stunned:

Regardless, as I said B4, I still like the idea. In fact, I'd like to have a set for both of my driveways right NOW - cost be darned! :D

Can anyone begin to imagine the installation ,running,maintenance and replacement costs. I would think tyre noise would be horrendous with those large bobbles coupled with poor traction and less than desirable stopping distance. Airports , car parks and access roads maybe but never for the main roads.

Bob

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Can anyone begin to imagine the installation ,running,maintenance and replacement costs. I would think tyre noise would be horrendous with those large bobbles coupled with poor traction and less than desirable stopping distance. Airports , car parks and access roads maybe but never for the main roads.

Bob

...and lets not forget the effect studded snow tires would have on the panels! :stunned: :stunned: :stunned: (Of course, they'd probably be outlawed on all 'paneled' roads...which would make some folks' winter commutes quite interesting from a tactical and logistics standpoint...)

marc

Lifetime Supporter
This is what happens when the DOT meets in CO. to discuss new ideas. Next is the Quantum Solex from the Bond movies.

Remember this stuff puts out dc and that don't travel too good.

Back