France/Le Mans

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
This week I have driven from Tetre Rouge to Maison Blanch five times and the last time last night was no cars anywhere. It was all free as well.
Yesterday afternoon was memorable - after a nice lunch in Arnage with Stephen Tonks we went around in his super Volvo.
After talking to Ian Anderson about his previous visit and the fact I am a destitute and hard up pensioner, I think I have changed my mind about the Classic and I will not be attending at all, with or without my gtd gt40 lookalike.
I can have a luxury hotel in the Seychelles for 10 days, with flights included for about the same price.

This week I have driven from Tetre Rouge to Maison Blanch five times and the last time last night was no cars anywhere. It was all free as well.
Yesterday afternoon was memorable - after a nice lunch in Arnage with Stephen Tonks we went around in his super Volvo.
After talking to Ian Anderson about his previous visit and the fact I am a destitute and hard up pensioner, I think I have changed my mind about the Classic and I will not be attending at all, with or without my gtd gt40 lookalike.
I can have a luxury hotel in the Seychelles for 10 days, with flights included for about the same price.

Destitute :laugh: You could always slum it down there like some friends of mine do. They go down in a big pick up truck , they take a big tent ,a barbie , scaffold tower, all the food and drink and a sheet. Up goes the scaffold tower and tent , the sheet goes into the back of the truck which they fill with water to make a shallow pool ( they also throw the tinnies in there ) . They watch the race around the clock from their vantage point , drink plenty, eat plenty and laugh alot. All for nine parts of nothing. :thumbsup:

Bob

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Bob,
you are probably talking about the 24h du Le Mans which is run next week and I was alluding to the Classic which is every two years in July.
There are many such people as you mention in your email. There used to be a truck which had all the trappings of a luxury complex and the truck converted into ten palatial rooms each with full windows, They were shop fitters from Birmingham. They had a snooker championship on the Friday of the 24h with a full size table. I usually go to the 24h and some of the best memories I have is sitting up in the stands above the pits at 0400 on Sunday morning and just listening to the incredible sounds that is Le Mans, I usually organise a break around that time, have a breakfast around 0500 then a couple of hours shut eye and get going agaon from about 0900 until the end of the race at 1500. Then its a few glasses of champers and early to bed,

Lemans is on my must do before I die list. I really need to make time and go see what must be the best race in the world. Keep name dropping on the hotels and eateries David , its good to know wheres best.:)

Bob

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Rob,
My advice is rent a comfortable house south of Le Mans, easy access to Arnage and without all the traffic associated with driving through the city from the north, east or west. Plus all the comfort and facilities of a house, as opposed to a pokey way overpriced hotel, with bars and restaurants around it, eager to rip you off.
I have a house , on race days, 25 mins from Arnage. No traffic until you actually hit Arnage. Remote riverside property, suits me fine.
If you ever want to go, message me.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Hotels and eateries - sorry - I haven't a clue about Le Mans and the surrounding area. If I were a tourist going to the 24h race I'd stay in Paris and get the TGV to Le Mans and the tram to the circuit each day.
However there are some really nice hotels in Paris and within a short taxy ride to Montparnasse - the TGV terminal for Le Mans.

Back