24h du Le Mans 2014

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Any body going to the race and needs transport back, I have an empty car booked on the ferry at Calais on Monday at 1800 hrs.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Well, wine is plentiful and carrefour sells bags of ice cubes as well so I got 4 boxes of Louis Roederer brut. After night running last night we had a session and again tonight the same. Tomorrow we will go to Arromanche les Baines , the cemetry at Bayeux and then the Bailey Bridge near Caen.
Its a hard life really. And still the sun keeps shining.
Oh- and by the way - my mate Steve Pipe is taking my car back on Monday and he lives 45 miles from Marlow so problem solved.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Ian,
We really had some fun at the start of the race. David Webster, my fellow radar operator invented a new rain description of "Level 10 Biblical",
Some really complimentary comments by Tom Kristensen on our radio network.
Its all calmed down now and I've issued a rain free forecast until at least midday and maybe even further until the end of the race. My sleep break is 0400 until 1000 and I cannot wait. Its only 2335 now. I guess I could retune to a German satellite and watch football but that's like admitting defeat.
Apparently we are becoming faster than the Toyota - they may have a problem. 3 secs a lap?

Is it just me or do these more recent LeMans cars look like something Dick Dastardly would drive?

You know, the car the bad guy drives. I keep looking for Tony Curtis to appear in a white car and twinkle to camera.

Tim.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
No matter what they look like, at the moment we are 1 hr 15 mins from a P1 and P2. I really thought the Porsche would have had their act together and Toyota were a real threat. See what happens over the next 75 minutes? I don't mind actually as I still get paid no matter what.
A few champers from 3pm I hope.
Driving home today ?
Na. A bit Pissed I think.

http://www.24h-lemans.com/live/en

Last edited:
So if I am not allowed comment on the way they look can I ask about the rules?

As I understand it a diesel can be up to 4 litres with turbo. Petrol can only be 2 litres with turbo. A normally aspirated petrol can be 3.4?
All can have electric assistance, I am not sure of the limitations on those, or whether all engine types are allowed the same assistance.
(Wouldn't surprise me if the diesels were allowed bigger electric motors as well...)

Correctish?

If so I think the petrol engined cars did pretty bloody well considering they were playing off such a huge handicap...

Do Audi have special tracks installed for the race or does the French railway run alongside the racetrack? ;p

Dick Dastardly.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Thank you Keith.
I had hoped to retire from all of this, this year.
Summoned to discussions next week but I may still knock it on the head.
However it may delay the onset of alzheimers............... who knows.
Tomorrow - off to lunch at the George V in Paris. Tuesday helping to move house for my middle daughter Sophie. Its a life. I may have a break towards the end of the week and come down and bore you with tales of my eighteen years at Le Mans. Or is it seventeen.......

Keith

Thank you Keith.
I had hoped to retire from all of this, this year.
Summoned to discussions next week but I may still knock it on the head.
However it may delay the onset of alzheimers............... who knows.
Tomorrow - off to lunch at the George V in Paris. Tuesday helping to move house for my middle daughter Sophie. Its a life. I may have a break towards the end of the week and come down and bore you with tales of my eighteen years at Le Mans. Or is it seventeen.......

A good friend of mine used to run the Georges Cinq some 30 years or so back. Paulo de Pol an Italian Scot and an absolute hoot but what a hotelier! (He'd have to be - The Georges Cinq at one time was lauded to be the worlds best hotel)

I do not suppose he's there now but in case he is - please say hi for me. If he has trouble remembering my name, gently remind him of the all night Spoof sessions at the Copthorne Hotel Gatwick circa 1975 and that he owes me a case of Louis Roederer Cristal.

Back