Hershey vs Cadbury

Hershey is suing to prevent US companies from importing Cadbury chocolates from the UK. Hershey owns the rights to make Cadbury products in the US, but with half of the cocoa solids of the original UK Cadbury chocolates, they US versions are inferior copies.

Hershey's angers US chocolate purists by forcing company to stop importing 'yummy' Cadbury bars - News - Food and Drink - The Independent

The differences between UK and US Cadbury’s Dairy Milk are more than merely imagined: the British version has a higher fat content and lists its first ingredient as milk; the US version begins with sugar. To qualify as chocolate in the UK, a product must contain at least 20 per cent cocoa solids. In the US, the lower limit is 10 per cent, and American-made Dairy Milk is just 11 per cent cocoa. US bars also contain a different blend of chemical emulsifiers, giving them a longer shelf life.

marc

Lifetime Supporter
I didn't care except I hate the commercial with the rabbit that sounds like a chicken.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
It ticks me off to find out that Hershey has, in effect, been ripping us off since 1988.

It also ticks me off to know Cadbury was/is a willing party to it via the licensing deal.

(If a product sold in country "A" is not exactly the same when it's sold in country "B" - change its name.)

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I didn't care except I hate the commercial with the rabbit that sounds like a chicken.

Actually, the commercial was the only redeeming quality of the Cadbury products in my opinion...
Cadbury chocolate has always had sort of a waxy consistency that I never really cared for. Unlike the Hershey bar, of which I have consumed far more than my share.... :lipsrsealed:

Keith

National tastes. I absolutely hated American chocolate when I lived there. Hershey tasted like soap and I swear I couldn't eat a piece without wanting to vomit. The Cadbury 'version' was also, to me, inedible.

Then I found out it was probably due to the use of corn starch which isn't allowed here, but at least we had a modest amount of cocoa in it unlike Hershey.

But, the Continentals have got us all beat - Belgian & Swiss chocolate is to die for...

Cadbury's is now owned by Kraft Foods (heresy) and you can tell that just from the advertising...:thumbsdown:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
My sister lived in Holland for over thirty years and the one thing that I truly miss now that she has come back to the states is her periodic shipments of Dutch Chocolates... Why is it that they are truly without equal?

Keith

My sister lived in Holland for over thirty years and the one thing that I truly miss now that she has come back to the states is her periodic shipments of Dutch Chocolates... Why is it that they are truly without equal?

Most Continental chocolate, including Dutch, has a significantly higher Cocoa content than both ours and the USA and zero corn syrup!

I guess some of taste issue is what you are used to or grow up with.
When we were visiting the colonies I was really looking forward to a bar of Herseys & really wanted and expected to like it. However ( to me & the good lady ) it was awful & we didn't even finish the bar.
We bought another bar from different store & that was the same, so not a duff bar then!

I have family in Canada & years ago they always used to buy large quantities of UK Cadburys to take home because their local version tasted differently. So I don't believe this is a new occurrence.

The main problem I have with Cadburys is that the Plastic Cheese Company, despite assurances to the opposite, rapidly closed the Cadbury factory near Bristol & shipped the machinery out to Poland, and now ships products back to us. There were also job losses at Bournville, Chirk & Malbrook Cadburys factories.

So some Cadburys is still British & I'm happy to buy, but this opens up another can of worms.
Plenty of items on sale in the UK, when you look close on the label, state 'Made in the EU'. I find that a meaningless & worthless description, that's 28 countries on the possibles list.............

There's a bit of info. here, but it may not be all up to date.
Cadburys & many other brands are now in the Mondelez Group (careful how you type that into google)

https://ukmade.wordpress.com/tag/cadbury/

Regards Steve

Back