Government never ceases to amaze!

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
We really need to make English the OFFICIAL language of our country and require at least a moderate level of fluency for eligibility for federal assistance programs.

That statement comes from a "left-leaning" 66 year old with a Master's Degree in Speech Pathology...and who is well aware that there truly are some individuals who really do have a severe language disability. Those individuals started with English as their native language, though...it is not a disability if you have adequate language skills in your NATIVE language.

There should be a law...oh, yeah, there is, the ADA .

Cheers!!

Doug

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
As Mel Brooks once said in one of his movies, "Everyone in government is trying to protect their phoney baloney jobs".
So they create all kinds of policies to justify their existence.
Dimi

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
We really need to make English the OFFICIAL language of our country and require at least a moderate level of fluency for eligibility for federal assistance programs.

That statement comes from a "left-leaning" 66 year old with a Master's Degree in Speech Pathology...and who is well aware that there truly are some individuals who really do have a severe language disability. Those individuals started with English as their native language, though...it is not a disability if you have adequate language skills in your NATIVE language.

Cheers!!

Doug

?????????????????????

Is this more to do with there not being any pigeon holes for the government to put a person lacking the language skills relevant to his new home country.Nothing else fits so we will call him disabled, the costs are the same its just a title really. We have issues with migrants here because they seem to group together and never need to speak to anyone British, their numbers are so great they have their own towns,shops and places of worship. probably more to do with the government`s lack of foresight and not stepping in to ensure the were dispersed within the community .

Bob

Keith

Not going to happen. "Ghettos" are just a form of organic grouping and will always form. You could not possibly force people to 'disperse.'

Cheers!!

Doug

I think you've missed the point, what are we giving Social Security disability benefits to people who can't speak English? It's not a disability any more than me going to Mexico and having rudimentary Spanish skills. It's a matter of learning the language, not a disability. And yes, English should be learned to become a citizen of the US. Being bilingual is a good thing, but multiple languages and customs push us apart. My dads family was from Sweden, they kept their language and customs home, they were first and foremost English speaking Americans and proud of this country.

The whole point of this is that Puerto Ricans in Puerto Rico are getting disability benefits for not speaking English in a Spanish speaking region.

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
I think you've missed the point, what are we giving Social Security disability benefits to people who can't speak English? It's not a disability any more than me going to Mexico and having rudimentary Spanish skills. It's a matter of learning the language, not a disability. And yes, English should be learned to become a citizen of the US.

The whole point of this is that Puerto Ricans in Puerto Rico are getting disability benefits for not speaking English in a Spanish speaking region.

Yeah, guys...I get it and we all agree. My point is that the inability to speak English is NOT a disability as long as the individual has adequate language development in their NATIVE language, which in this case is Spanish.

My comment about ADA (the Americans with Disabilities Act) was a jab at our government's obsession regarding their PC mania...there IS a law requiring the recognition of a person with a true disability; however, in this case someone is TOO ANXIOUS to assign a disability determination without the understanding of native language competency. There ought to be a law prohibiting that!!!

Cheers!

Doug

So I guess the question should be: If the government (social security admin) believes that to not be conversant in English makes you less employable why are we allowing immigrants into the country without rudimentary skills in our language?

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
As I understand it the reluctance to adopt a "National language", whether it is English or Spanish or Urdu or Farsi or Chinese, etc., is based on the belief that doing that would not recognize the "melting pot" origins of our diverse population. It has been a long-standing issue...IMHO there is a difference between adopting a national language and REQUIRING immigrants to speak it...many immigrants believe that establishing a national language would require them to give up their native language. Nothing I have ever heard in the discourse over this issue has ever suggested that.

I see nothing wrong with establishing a national language, and in fact support it because that would force immigrants to acculturate more quickly. In one of the larger towns in the Houston vicinity the oriental population is so politically active that street signs are now posted in both English and some oriental language. Where is their interest in becoming part of our culture????

This is a long-standing issue and unless we act to establish a national language it can only get worse as our immigrant population grows.

Cheers!

Doug

So I guess the question should be: If the government (social security admin) believes that to not be conversant in English makes you less employable why are we allowing immigrants into the country without rudimentary skills in our language?

The french have the right idea, all documentation for foreigners have to be filled in by the applicant in french. Job done , no forms means no benefits or admission to the country.

bob

Speaking English was a requirement to get US citizenship, Has that changed?

No, but it's not a requirement to HAVE it for citizenship. If you are born a US citizen and don't speak English, you could go to your grave that way.

It's interesting to me that people born in the US territory of Puerto Rico carry dual citizenship (Puerto Rico and USA), while people born in the US territory of Guam are *not* considered US citizens and are denied many rights and privileges as a result--yet they still have to pay US taxes, register for the draft etc. :huh:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
"And for some disabled permanent residents."
So logic tells me if not speaking English makes you disabled you may apply for citizenship.

I heard recently that P R is sending there homeless and drug addicted to Chicago with a one way ticket and not one word from officials. What a country don't ya think?

Keith

And if you are not of Hispanic descent, in 2045 you will most definitely be in a minority!

I kind of like that though. Gives one plenty to aim at.... :quirk:

Back