US Sanctuary Cities?

Keith

At face value it seems a strange law, especially in light of potential terrorism etc. Our Border Agencies have the power of arrest but often involve Police if there is likely to be a breach of the peace. Likewise, when suspects are detained by Police, say, at the roadside, their fingerprint data is sent to Border Agency for checking against the National data base and if they are found to be illegals the Border Agency request the Police to detain them, which all sounds very fair and straight forward to me.

I think this is what the "Sanctuary Cities" thing is about, yes? Seems an odd law though...sorry if you only wanted a U.S. Centric view....

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Your thoughts?

'Idiocy. 'Completely reckless, mindless, foolhardy idiocy...not to mention a clear violation of law. IOW, "P.C." at its finest.

ALL federal funds of any kind going to any sanctuary city - as well as any federal funds going to the state in which it's located - should be completely cut off.

IMHO, the city and state officials who enact/allow this madness ought to serve prison time as well. :evil:

Buuuuuuut, what the 'hey'. The Obama/Holder "Justice" Dept ignored the constitution whenever it felt like it. So...

Last edited:

Keith

But the key is, that those 200 cities have passed a law preventing LEO's from acting on Immigration Dept information and arresting suspected illegal immigrants, hence my post above.

That being so, speaking academically, they wouldn't even get to the deportation stage.

Presumably, they can still be arrested if they commit a crime, but not purely for being an illegal alien.

Like I said in my post above - it's a strange law and I don't understand the reason for it...

Are you sure it wasn't Federally driven? 200 cities is rather a lot... :shifty:

Keith

This is a bit like pulling teeth... :mean:

I'll give up - was just trying to understand why, many of these cities in the firing line of illegal immigration, should pass such a law, and my only conclusion is that it's about the labour market. Perhaps vested farming interest protecting their low wages (to illegal immigrants) policy?

This is a bit like pulling teeth... :mean:

I'll give up - was just trying to understand why, many of these cities in the firing line of illegal immigration, should pass such a law, and my only conclusion is that it's about the labour market. Perhaps vested farming interest protecting their low wages (to illegal immigrants) policy?

How about votes?

Keith

So, the American electorate at large would vote for such a policy? :shocked: Despite appearances, I believe we here in the UK are a lot more liberal than the US but I can't see any of us going for that, no way...

Apart from votes, what's the upside, I mean, for the nation?

It looks like a dog's breakfast to me + what comes out the other end....:thumbsdown:

On the other hand...:idea: If we dropped some fliers over in Sangatte outlining this amazingly 'benevolent' streak in the US, (chink in the armour? Sorry, can't say Chink - it's offensive) and that they'd be greeted with bread not guns, it might solve a little problem for us too. Hmm, they would need boats, lots of them. A great opportunity for someone who lives by the sea and knows about boats. I wonder.....

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Probably more than one interest at work here. Some of it may have to do with protecting cheap labor. Some of it is Commie pinko liberals like me just jerking the chains of Larry and Al............

I think Liberals think of future votes and relaxed voting requirements. This isn't some warm fuzzy help the illegals moment, not for the good of the country, this is about getting power and keeping it.

Keith

I must admit, it seems, at face value, un American, and I still don't get why the average American would think it a good policy, I mean how is it sold to them?

Here, it would mean electoral disaster....except, the hue of many city councils further North is changing, but they wouldn't have the power (right now) to enact such a law. However, there are mutterings of devolved power to so-called "City States" in the future which could provide a platform for this kind of thing but I still don't get what's in it for the electorate....

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
I must admit, it seems, at face value, un American, and I still don't get why the average American would think it a good policy, I mean how is it sold to them?

Here, it would mean electoral disaster....except, the hue of many city councils further North is changing, but they wouldn't have the power (right now) to enact such a law. However, there are mutterings of devolved power to so-called "City States" in the future which could provide a platform for this kind of thing but I still don't get what's in it for the electorate....

It does seem confusing on the surface, but it is relatively simple.

Most of these cities are in areas with high Hispanic population (the Hispanic population in California just exceed the Caucasian by the way), so there is some political will in favor of not aggressively deporting folks.

Second, and more importantly, in areas in the US with high Hispanic populations, the local economies depend on them for cheap labor. Go to a construction site anywhere in the southern or southwestern US -- almost ALL Hispanic. Most paid under the table. Same is true for housekeeping/cleaning.

Free market at work. Local businesses dependent on the cheap labor push for "sanctuary" policies so that labor remains available.

Has almost zero to do with voting. Most illegals only stay for a few years, make some money and return.

Keith

OK, that makes perfect sense..kind of....well it does really. It's not perfect by long chalk..weird economics -the lure of the dollar, and still chasing the 'American Dream.'

I agree with Jeff on this one, except, they do become potential voters.
A voters registration card could be had by my dog in some states with high numbers of Mexican immigrants seeking to get on the government dole.

I'll admit, I had to google search the topic at hand. But then again, I don't watch the news... At all!

My guess? It's 99% labor related. As stated above, the work force constructing the houses here in Vegas are 99% Mexican, with one or two white guys in white hard hats. As someone with about 8 years of carpentry experience, both industrial and residential, the houses here are built so shoddy that a moderate Midwestern tornado would decimate this place. Thank goodness we only get the occasional wind storm. Codes are broken left and right. But with the MASSIVE premium that these homes get, it's easy to pay off inspectors. I can't imagine living in a newer home in California: paying 1 million plus for a house that didn't cost more than 100k to build. Ouch!!!

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
I agree with Jeff on this one, except, they do become potential voters.
A voters registration card could be had by my dog in some states with high numbers of Mexican immigrants seeking to get on the government dole.

I'm sorry but that's a myth. Only citizens vote (not even green card holders or permanent residents can vote).

Voter fraud has been proven by all legitimate sources to be nearly non-existent. The (frankly right wing) myth of hordes of illegals voting is untrue.

Now, you are correct that they do receive some government assistance but most of it is directed at ensuring their kids don't die of malnutrition, etc. While I don't like paying for that, I'm not heartless and will do so grudgingly.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Yes, really. All legit studies of voter fraud in the US have turned up miniscule amounts.

Now, there are lots of people who are fed a steady diet of Fox News to the contrary, and they believe that there is some sort of massive voter fraud in this country. They are wrong. They are also not worth arguing with because they live in a fantasy world devoid of reality, and are impossible to convince otherwise.

So I've stopped trying.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Jeff Larry has cited a number of different sources for his contention, what are your sources?
Leaving aside vote fraud for the moment are not the Mayor and city fathers of so called Sanctuary Cities breaking Federal law, in effect giving refuge to Aliens?

Back