Windows 10

Keith

Downloaded and running today. Only 1 app not seemingly compatible but apart from that seems quite fast and stable.

Jury is still out though - I'll let you know!

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I have Windows 7 and am not at all unhappy. What does Windows 10 have that would make the upgrade to Windows 10 worth the switch (I realize there is no charge for the upgrade)?

I freely admit to being somewhat technophobic...in fact when I bought my Lenovo a Windows 8 computer was $100 less expensive...I paid the extra $100 for the Windows 7 equipped version so that I would NOT have to learn the new Windows 8 OS.

You mention an app...is this Windows 10 OS touch screen based like Windows 8 was?

Cheers!!

Doug

Last edited:

Keith

I do both Ian. Prefer Mac, started on Mac in the US but switched to PC to run Autocäd (in MSDos no less! Windows was a long way off). Time I came back to the UK, the Classic gave way to the PowerMacs etc, but I adopted PC and Windows eventually because that's what all my customers were running, so that's mainly what I use now, with just the odd iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch when I get bored with Windows!

Just the one App not compatible with 10 so far and have run it in 8.1 compatibility mode, but it won't have it. Seems OK thus far..

Got some quite cool features I'll never use though...

Keith

I have Windows 7 and am not at all unhappy. What does Windows 10 have that would make the upgrade to Windows 10 worth the switch (I realize there is no charge for the upgrade).

Cheers!!

Doug

If you have other Windows devices, phone, Surface Pro etc, this OS is universal across all Windows platforms. They say it will be the last ever Windows OS. Apart from few gadgets I don't think there'll be any advantages but as I have a new computer with touch screen etc, I thought I'd move with the times. I also have a Windows phone so that makes sense.

Oddly enough, they've reinstated some of the features that made XP and 7 popular OS's which they left out on 8 and 8.1.

To be honest, I wouldn't bother for a while.....but it is FREE! :thumbsup:

Have you played solitaire yet Keith? Try it.

Move away from American spyware and into Linux as the rest of the world is doing.
There are some great distributions around now that do everything you could possibly need.

windows in my house is only for games machines now, and even they will be migrated soon as more and more games are moving towards the Linux world and away from the monopoly microshaft inflicted on us through their 'business practices'.

Tim.

A pic I hope.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 252
IT Magazine reviews seemed to suggest if you are on W7 then wait 6-11 months before upgrading. If you are on W8 then its worth getting off ASAP.

Keith

Have you played solitaire yet Keith? Try it.

Move away from American spyware and into Linux as the rest of the world is doing.
There are some great distributions around now that do everything you could possibly need.

windows in my house is only for games machines now, and even they will be migrated soon as more and more games are moving towards the Linux world and away from the monopoly microshaft inflicted on us through their 'business practices'.

Tim.

Hi Tim, have been familiar with the whole shebang having migrated from 8.1. No issues with solitaire, except my strike rate hasn't improved! I agree about the 'spying' business however, too much info going to MS with 10. I shall have to try and cut it off somehow. Still looking on how to achieve that. Linux is great for computer buffs, not so good for amateurs. One thing 10 is good for - it will fix itself..

Oh the irony! 10's opening and closing screen is BSOD! :laugh:

PS Tim, the Premium is for those who want to compete with other genius' on line and who like fancy 'tokens' as prizes. I only compete with myself in the original spirit of the game! So, not bothered with their 'upgrades'.

Try Mint 17.2 Keith, one of the easiest distributions I know of, very intuitive. Anyone can figure it out after a few minutes.
I believe it to be simpler to use than the commercial competition.

Tim.

Keith

Try Mint 17.2 Keith, one of the easiest distributions I know of, very intuitive. Anyone can figure it out after a few minutes.
I believe it to be simpler to use than the commercial competition.

Tim.

I've been threatening to try it, so may just follow your advice one day soon.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
At work some are on XP and oriface 2003

Pretty damned stable mow that microsloppy has stopped screwing stuff up with daily updates

Not a fan

Best was win3.1 and Lotus123 v3

After that they went downhill

And I doubt you are naive enough to believe you can really close any of the holes anyway. ;)

Long live the penguin!

Tim,

Keith

Bob, given that half the world runs on Seven and 8.0 & 8.1 was pretty dire, I believe they will continue to support 7 for some time to come.

Microsoft do come in for some stick but they have consistently supported their products well beyond their sell-by dates unlike many other leading manufacturers.. They've only recently stopped supporting XP and that's some 15 years or so!

So, stick with it mate. The only reason I updated is that I bought a new computer with 8.1 on it. It is very different from 7 so I managed to get very familiar with it in 3 months. It seemed a no-brainer to upgrade to 10 which has proved far more stable and is infinitely quicker than any MS OS I've used. From switch on to desktop = <10 secs.

Cool things on 10 (depending on the user!) Face recognition log on and Cortana digital assistant which is really clever..

Keith

Just for you Keith - Windows 10 is spying on almost everything you do – here’s how to opt out | BGR

Closing those is like shutting a porthole on the titanic though.

Tim.

Thanks for the heads up mate...Phew! That's quite a list...all turned off. Am I the only one who is quite put out by this blatant data mining? :annoyed:

I blame it on the Brave New World of Suckerbrook...

It's not so much the companies telling me what they are mining that worry me, it's the ones that don't...:shifty:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I had to replace my notebook and it came with 8.1...I don't like it and of course, nothing worked without new drivers, etc.!!!! It is the same as if the new car you bought wouldn't drive on the existing roads. Microsoft works with the public being the testers!

Attachments

• windows.jpg
    windows.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 173
Back