Vegemite ban? WTF?

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Well it would taste worse than shit. However whatever I say about my Indigenous brothers up North would probably be deemed racist. Suffice to say Vegemite is made from Brewers yeast and could be used to make alcohol.
Some communities are Alcohol free at the instigation of the Elders, so the desperates
are making a form of piss from Vegemite.
It would have to Taste worse than the case of very cheap Champers I am sending to David after the Test debacle.

Keith a good friend of mine that has worked throughout orztralia for a petrochemical company assures me that Petes indigenous brothers would drink absolutely anything. In the absence of shine, meths or white spirit they would as a last resort drink Fosters providing they could steal it :)

Bob

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...Petes indigenous brothers would drink absolutely anything.

Back in the early 'sixties, there was a group of 3 or 4 'skid row bums' who came into the supermarket where I worked and bought cans of a camp stove/cooking fuel called "Sterno" from which they made 'booze'. Someone told me the bums filtered the Sterno thru bread if I remember correctly. WHY they even bothered I have no idea, since 'filtering' the stuff didn't change the fact that Sterno contained (today still does contain?) about 4% or 5% denatured alcohol...so, it was STILL toxic as all get out.

Never have I run across more pathetic individuals. Ever. Not before or since.

Last edited:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Fosters is not a Tipple drunk by true blue Aussie's, it is sold overseas as a result of very good marketing to people who think they have the persona of Crocodile Dundee and Glaswegians. As previously mentioned our Indigenous brothers will drink it as a tool of last resort but only if they can steal it.
Fosters is drunk nearly frozen in an attempt to hide the awful taste which is similar to Budweiser. I.E. Gnats piss.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Sterno (jellied gasoline or something like it) used to be sold also as Canned Heat. The "Drink" made by straining Sterno through a cheesecloth is called Pink Lady by those who prefer it. Few of them survive very long after drinking it. It's not good for you.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
My Father (yes Keith I did know who he was) used to say the Troops in New Guinea in WW2
Made booze out of Californian Poppy a type of hair oil. Mixed it with coconut milk and fermented it.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Sterno (jellied gasoline or something like it) used to be sold also as Canned Heat. The "Drink" made by straining Sterno through a cheesecloth is called Pink Lady by those who prefer it. Few of them survive very long after drinking it. It's not good for you.

Just how they managed to survive as long as they did I have no idea, Doc, but those same 3-4 guys came into the store 1-2 times a week for months. Then one-by-one they didn't.

'R-E-A-L-L-Y was a pathetically sad situation...

Back