Maybe he has a point.

I do like guns, but I also feel secure with one in the house. 1. protection, 2. like, and I really don't care if anyone else feels that way.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
For those who like guns (that would include me) you might want to move to KS...a month ago the Guvnuh signed into a law a provision allowing concealed carry without a license.

One of my guns is an 1880's era .38 revolver (or so I have been told by the family firearms expert)...I have never fired it...

Cheers!!!

Doug

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I'm probably the only Englishman to answer the gun toting Americans and one who has borne some very powerful guns during my time in the Royal Air Force.
This Australian 'comedian' is absolutely 100% correct. Whether you as Americans believe me or not, he is 100% on the money. Any of you Americans who encourage the bearing of guns, whether its in one of your silly amendments or not, are stark raving mad and should go for a psychiatrist check up as soon as you possibly can. You sweep under the carpet the continuous assault rifle massacres that populate your news channels and yet you have gun shops still selling them. No matter what you say in these hallowed halls of the GT40s paddock, you cannot make an argument to support your madness no matter how long you try.
Have any of you ever drawn a loaded gun with the intention of shooting someone?
I have but only the once. I came so incredibly close to killing the Met Man at R.A.F. Ballykelly, it made me anti gun for the rest of my life but up to that event I was like a crazy adolescent about guns and couldn't get enough. That is where you are as Americans. Crazy adolescents with no sense of what is right.
I appeal to your sense of what could be a new dawn in the U.S.A. and eschew the right to bear arms. You don't need them and your standing in the world would increase a million times. To me at least.................................

Last edited:
pretty well sums it up in a nut shell , I was bought up with guns had my first 22 pea rifle shared with older brother when I was nine, and was good enough to get a rabbit on the run most of the time, have had Ruger 44 magnum bush carbine a 303 a 30.06 a couple of shot guns to name but a few, even if I was allowed would have a gun in my house, no way in hell. I have access to some pretty well stocked super markets these days so there's absolutely no need for a gun of any description.

kaspa

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I'll temper that a little David, banning guns in Australia has reduced the number of deaths by gun, primarily because people have stopped committing suicide by gun. They now hang themselves or jump.
The bad guys still have guns and armed robbery has increased . Most drug dealers when busted have guns.
I like guns, I was bought up on a farm and was hunting for food by age nine. I also spent five years in the Army so I am very familiar with gun safety.
However I don't think the right to bear arms should include assault weopons or rocket launchers. I strongly believe that thorough background checks should be done before anyone has the right to own a firearm.
His skit about when your home is being invaded and asking the crooks to wait while going to the gunsafe is true. In Oz if you are a target shooter and have a hand gun for that, it must be locked in a safe and the ammo kept elsewhere. Failure to do so results in heavy fines or jail time.

Last edited:
The term "Assault rifles" that the press and politicians are always using for maximum effect, are not assault rifles. The are semi automatic rifles with the look of an assault rifle. An assault rifle has the option of being fully automatic. But whatever works. It's mentally disturbed people that kill, not guns.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
You don't need them and your standing in the world would increase a million times. To me at least.................................

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
When the founding fathers wrote the constitution and included the right to bear arms semi and fully automatic weapons didn't exist.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...You sweep under the carpet the continuous assault rifle massacres that populate your news channels and yet you have gun shops still selling them. No matter what you say in these hallowed halls of the GT40s paddock, you cannot make an argument to support your madness no matter how long you try.

Translation: No matter what some Yank says, I'm going to dismiss it. After all, listening to "madmen" is quite pointless...'innit'.

...Have any of you ever drawn a loaded gun with the intention of shooting someone?

Nope. But then, I've never had the need to "draw" any of the 4 fire extinguishers we keep in our home to put out a fire either.

...Any of you Americans who encourage the bearing of guns, whether its in one of your silly (???!) amendments or not, are stark raving mad and should go for a psychiatrist check up as soon as you possibly can.

...and yet when Americans brought their guns to the beaches of Normandy and the like, nunna y'all had objection-one...didja.

...You don't need them...

...until we DO. 'Sorta like the aforementioned fire extinguishers.

So, enlighten us, sir. Say three armed perps have just broken into your home...it's 3 A.M. ...police are 10/20/30 minutes away. What alternative defense method/plan/weapon would you choose to employ in that scenerio?

...your standing in the world would increase a million times. To me at least.................................

Oh ya...I'm sure it would...NOT. (In either case.)

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
When the founding fathers wrote the constitution and included the right to bear arms semi and fully automatic weapons didn't exist.

...which is why they used the word "ARMS". They knew weapons would change with the passage of time and they didn't want 'the people's' right to carry limited to the "arms" of their time.

Nope. But then, I've never had the need to "draw" any of the 4 fire extinguishers we keep in our home to put out a fire either.

Comparison with gun might be a bit "borderline" no?

...and yet when Americans brought their guns to the beaches of Normandy and the like, nunna y'all had objection-one...didja.

What a comparison again! Your own private arsenal, with the one carried by soldiers, enroled into a country's army, and engaged into a declared war??? WTF?
I, as a french, know how much we owe the Yanks for landing in Normandie, and kicking german asses paying an heavy tribute doing so... And I do not discuss that, but, hey, where is the point between WWII and your right to bear guns?

...until we DO. 'Sorta like the aforementioned fire extinguishers.

So, enlighten us, sir. Say three armed perps have just broken into your home...it's 3 A.M. ...police are 10/20/30 minutes away. What alternative defense method/plan/weapon would you choose to employ in that scenerio?

Well, for this one, I am mitigated, but, please, follow me. I live in a isolated area. I sometimes would feel more comfortable if I had a shotgun or something like this... If I take exactly YOUR example, waking up at 3AM, with my head still stuck deep into the darkest part of my anatomy, how many time would I have to react.
I strongly believe it's a matter of seconds rather than a matter of minutes.. So what? I should go to my safe, remember the code, take the fuckin' gun out of it, spill the rounds on the floor while trying to catch them, load it, take my balls in hands, run into the house, in the dark, Aim and probably shoot everything on sight since I would shit my pants that the other guys are armed as well?
Impossible, at least, I think so. Then that would mean, keeping a loaded gun right on hand close to my bed? NO WAY! I have a 5yrs old at home, and even if she is not really allowed to enter my bedroom, well... you kow the kids? I will never ever take the risk to do so. And please, do not tell me "hang it on the wall so it is out of reach".... My daoughter can be very imaginative sometimes.

Another example, I am awaken at 3 by stange noises which arn't supposed to be, someone into the house.... Take my gun, shit my pants, and shoot....my 16yrs old daughter who went out without my permission, coming back home completely drunk with a boyfriend? Last and only option in this case would be to shoot myself right now.

Maybe my examples seem not realistic to you. Maybe you have a far better self control than I have, or way more courageous or way more trained than I am... But to me they sound pretty real. I am happy that my father didn't have a gun at home. He would have killed me several times when I was a stupid teen, and enjoyed partying coming back home late at night, sometimes pretty drunk.

A last thing. My comprehension of your 4th amendment is that, pTexas or another state drawn some fear into some of the population???

Isn't that a bit ridiculous? Do you REALLY think that this president you hate so much WOULD ACTUALLY invade a state of its own country?

Don't say that you believe this, but some people seems to. And they would probably profit more from a little bit of "modernity" in their minds, than from the right to have a dozen "semi auto-easy to mod" assault riffles...

But, hey, who Am I? Just a stupid coward french...

Olivier.

Sorry, seems I can't edit my post, so you should read
"A last thing. My comprehension of your 4th amendment is that, the right to bear guns is supposed to grant the population protecting themselves against an abusing pomer/state/gorvenment. Well, 200 yrs before, you had some problems with the Brits, and kicked them out. Then your civil war... But what for nowadays? I read somewere that military training on a large scale in Texas or another state drawn some fear into some of the population???"

Back