I'm a sucker for WWII aircraft

Keith

Amazing event at Goodwood today - 40 Spitfires & Hurricanes taking off on mass for 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain.

A bit like GT40's, there are only a few original survivors, but 'new' originals appear almost weekly! Some years ago, there was but a single flying example left, but such is the nostalgia for these time machines, there is a steady production in the UK.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/goodwood-revival/11858136/Record-number-of-Spitfires-as-Battle-of-Britain-is-marked-at-2015-Goodwood-Revival.html

Keith, the Merlin engines sound fantastic! Did you catch the two flights of four Spits
over Lymington the other day?

Keith

Keith, the Merlin engines sound fantastic! Did you catch the two flights of four Spits
over Lymington the other day?

It seems to me that there has been a flight of Spits around for over 2 weeks now on a daily basis. If I didn't know any better I'd say that I have fallen through a wormhole and emerged in 1940!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Oh my gosh --- they are simply wonderful.....

What great sights and sounds....

Charlie Farley

Supporter
A lot of the Spits & Hurricanes that flew for yesterday's tibute
to Battle of Britain day, ended up at Duxford, Cambridgeshire, for
the largest WW2 airshow in the UK, held this coming weekend.
My guess is abit like the Goodwood Revival in 2013 for GT40's,
this will be an unprecedented show of Spits & Hurricanes.
I guess we will have to check Utube next week.
I am down at my Parent's and guided Dad out into the garden
( walking sticks in both hands ) so he could see them circling overhead to land.
Due to acute deafness ( probably due to manning 4 x guns in rear turrets )
he was unable to savour the noise of 4 Merlins that accompanied him too many times .
Still, he enjoyed the sight and reminisced about being the Project Engineer / Manager for the Imperial War Museum in charge of bringing Duxford back to a working facility back in the late 1970's. As i recall, his close colleague went on to oversee the project to bring the Vulcan back into the air. Sadly, as old age has taken it's toll, he can't recall the name.
If the weather allows, i will sit him out in the garden with a pot of tea and let him watch as the old warbirds circle for their display.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Jack,

Thanks.
It made his month.
He doesn't get out much...but i bet this saturday he will be up
bright and early...funny that...lol

I was at the Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles airport two weeks ago for a private dinner. I got to see AC that I'd only seen in pictures. I had a 1 on 1 tour guide that I'd struck up a conversation about the Le Rhone engine. We had dined underneath the space shuttle Columbia and were taking in the aircraft in the large hall. A SR-71, Corsair, the B29 Enola Gay (totally) assembled and polished, a P38 presented as it was flown into airport.
For over an hour we talked and walked. Then he ask "Want to see whats in the hanger workshop?" Are you kidding? Off we went. And there it was, A Horton brothers 229 flying wing separated into 3 sections. One of 3 made. There are 4 Horton 'winged' aircraft there. Our countries first single man spaceships are in the hanger.
Back in the main room you'll find the first 707, an Arado 234 twin engine WWII jet, a Focke Wulf 190A8, and the huge Dornier 335 fighter with its push pull engines.

I could have spent the night there. Just beautiful designs.

Attachments

• P1050874.jpg
    P1050874.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 170
  • 20150827_202931.jpg
    20150827_202931.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 183
  • P1050863.jpg
    P1050863.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 157
  • P1050861.jpg
    P1050861.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 167
  • 20150827_203012.jpg
    20150827_203012.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 179
Great pictures Grady:thumbsup:

That Horten 229 was the star of this video.

It's worth viewing and the model shop at Northrop has some very talented folks.

It seems that if Adolf Hitler had some more military common sense, we would be eating Schnitzel for lunch:uhoh:

http://youtu.be/MqgfjXaJxV8

Back