Sex and engineering

I was helping my 13 year old grandson in the workshop with a project he was doing , and explaining how to make parts fit. I realised that I was using the terms of "male" and "female" regarding joining pieces, and wondered why I got a questioning look from him, but no comment ! How would you explain that concept to a kid ? I am sure your answers will be diverse and enlightening !

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
By 13 here in the states, they have already had a couple of years of sex education...
I think I would have his father explain the difference to be quite honest.

13 yrs is old enough. Answer might be as simple as possible. A general rule for kid's embarassing questions is to just answer the minimum in relation to the question... You're not supposed to make a dissertation. Answer JUST what is asked...

Some topics might be easier to ask to a granpa, depends of the kind of relation ship you have....

How did you manage the same kinds of questions with your kids?

Olivier.

Keith

No sex education in my day, but both my daughters used to giggle a lot in their 7th Grade years.. :shifty:

Having children was a voyage of discovery for my wife & I. How we managed it, I'll never know. My mother was adamant I couldn't be the father because she had never explained the facts of life to me!

Lots of misinformation behind the bike sheds during my formative years..some of it quite deliberate... the bastards ..:eek:

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Guys

Sex education with my kids was easy for me .

With my first kids , son and daughter, my daughter , age 5, came home from school one day and asked ' daddy did you put your penis in mummy"s vagina.
I almost fell over as I had not expected to have this conversation with my daughter at such a young age.
Apparently she had a friend at school who had a 13 year old sister that filled her friend in on the facts of life which she then went to school and told all.
All I could do was be honest and sat her down and explained it truthfully and that was the end of it.

With my second kids, 2 boys, I had bought them pets, 2 rabbits which they named Fluffy and Jethro.
One day they came in and said ,Jethro is doing something to Fluffy and is he hurting her.
I just said that Jethro is giving Fluffy a massage.
When Fluffy finally gave birth the inevitable questions came and so I explained the facts of life and they were happy.

That was how I was able to handle it.

Dimi

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Just be thankful you are not a plumber having to explain ballcocks...

Back