Stop the epa

" Tell the EPA to Withdraw Its Proposal to Prohibit the Conversion of Vehicles Into Racecars
The American love affair with automobiles includes watching and participating in motorsports. For decades Americans have converted their street vehicles into racecars, from pre-World War II classics to modern era performance cars. It has brought joy and jobs to millions. However, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has issued a proposed rule that would do away with this time honored tradition. It would outlaw the conversion of any type of emissions-certified vehicle into a racecar, and make it illegal to sell any emissions-related parts for those cars. The Clean Air Act prohibits the EPA from regulating racecars. Tell EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy to remove this provision from the “Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- & Heavy-Duty Engines-Phase 2" rule."

Published Date: Feb 09, 2016

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pe...posal-prohibit-conversion-vehicles-racecars-0

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Well...any "comment" on this would, of necessity, involve POLLY-TICKS...and as most of us are aware, that would "offend certain sensitive persons" around here...so, rather than upset anyone, I'm not going to bother to comment...HERE anyway.

God knows I haven't held back elsewhere... :sneaky:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Well...any "comment" on this would, of necessity, involve POLLY-TICKS...and as most of us are aware, that would "offend certain sensitive persons" around here...so, rather than upset anyone, I'm not going to bother to comment...HERE anyway.

God knows I haven't held back elsewhere... :sneaky:

True, although I would have thought the subject very relevant to a car forum.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Well...any "comment" on this would, of necessity, involve POLLY-TICKS...and as most of us are aware, that would "offend certain sensitive persons" around here...so, rather than upset anyone, I'm not going to bother to comment

Well, at least we would be calling the EPA a bunch of idiots and not each other...

Cheers!!!

Doug

Keith

Completely agree Pete.... Have at it.. However (!) It might be partisan at this stage, but if stuff passes into law, it generally gets stuck on the statute books and despite subsequent protest - never gets repealed, so the way to stop it is - before it passes into law. Sounds pretty obvious but I say this because it matters not the political hue of the perpetrator but as a general observation that a bad law is a bad law. Political parties of all flavours are currently and somewhat desperately seeking ways to appear to be green, and they will pick on any weak link they can find. Picking on motor racing is fucking desperate.

I hope you get my drift.. :)

Last edited:
Nothing partisan. Obviously, we are all car enthusiasts here on all sides. When our hobby is threatened, we need all to stand together and say "no."

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
My take on this is the resulting impact will be more "spec" racing with sealed engines. Everything else is open, so how much of an impact would this actually be in its worst interpretation? Want to differentiate yourself from the competition that has the same smog engine? Improve everything else.

Keith

The 'hobby' is but a gnats prick in the scheme of things. EPA, go pick on something meaningful like women's vibrators... :laugh:

Question: Why don't women marry vibrators?

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter

I agree.

HOWEVER...one has no idea where the "in bounds" markers are with regard to what IS or IS NOT "political". The 'markers seem to 'shift' according to who 'tis that's sayin' what.

So, screw it. :evil:

(Don't bother me. I'm in my room POUTING now...)

Keith

It's really quite simple Larry....For example: This is not the right place to fight the forthcoming US elections. Go from there.. :)

C'mon mate - it ain't complicated...and no-one's out to get you, well, not today anyway :shifty:

SEMA weighs in;

"Washington, DC (February 8, 2016) – The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has proposed a regulation to prohibit conversion of vehicles originally designed for on-road use into racecars. The regulation would also make the sale of certain products for use on such vehicles illegal. The proposed regulation was contained within a non-related proposed regulation entitled “Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles—Phase 2.”

The regulation would impact all vehicle types, including the sports cars, sedans and hatch-backs commonly converted strictly for use at the track. While the Clean Air Act prohibits certain modifications to motor vehicles, it is clear that vehicles built or modified for racing, and not used on the streets, are not the “motor vehicles” that Congress intended to regulate.

“This proposed regulation represents overreaching by the agency, runs contrary to the law and defies decades of racing activity where EPA has acknowledged and allowed conversion of vehicles,” said SEMA President and CEO Chris Kersting. “Congress did not intend the original Clean Air Act to extend to vehicles modified for racing and has re-enforced that intent on more than one occasion.”

SEMA submitted comments in opposition to the regulation and met with the EPA to confirm the agency’s intentions. The EPA indicated that the regulation would prohibit conversion of vehicles into racecars and make the sale of certain emissions-related parts for use on converted vehicles illegal. Working with other affected organizations, including those representing legions of professional and hobbyist racers and fans, SEMA will continue to oppose the regulation through the administrative process and will seek congressional support and judicial intervention as necessary.

The EPA has indicated it expects to publish final regulations by July 2016."

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
I signed the online petition...after reading through this info I would imagine SEMA will fight the proposal tooth and nail...they can recruit many manufacturers to join the battle and we hobbyists need to become active in this issue, too.

I plan to contact my elected representatives today.

Cheers to all who join this battle against unnecessarily intrusive governmental regulation!!!

Doug

On the same page! Wow. I'm proud of you, Doug.

I signed the online petition...after reading through this info I would imagine SEMA will fight the proposal tooth and nail...they can recruit many manufacturers to join the battle and we hobbyists need to become active in this issue, too.

I plan to contact my elected representatives today.

Cheers to all who join this battle against unnecessarily intrusive governmental regulation!!!

Doug

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Absolutely...proud of you, too, LB!!!

Cheers!!!

Doug

"In the summer of 2014, federal law enforcement officials conducted a series of early morning raids to confiscate 40 vintage Land Rovers from ordinary citizens. Federal prosecutors suspected the trucks were brought to the U.S. illegally by importer Aaron Richardet; in seizing the cars, they were reportedly building a case against him. Agents effectively “arrested” the vehicles, which law enforcement can do thanks to civil forfeiture.

Almost a year later, the trucks were returned to their owners, and the case against Richardet was dropped."
The Latest Fight Over Car Importing

Back